PDA

View Full Version : PROCONTROL ALTERNATIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skiroy
05-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Okay this must seem like blaphemy to you guys but can anyone recomend a midi/mixer console that is good and has either 24 tracks or room to expand, and has good software control capabilities like the procontrol. I would be starting with a digi 002 interface and PT LE. I was looking at the Mackie Universal but it looks alittle cheapy. I really wish I had $10,000 to start but I just cant yet. What about Tascam US-2400. Can you guys think of any you know of that is just a midi controllor console with meters andgood control and looks proffesional? I like the Mackie Universal Control because it is expandable like the PROCONTROL, do you guys know any others?

Craig F
05-04-2008, 10:39 AM
anything not made be Digi will only work using the now very old HUI MIDI protocol
that said look at this: http://www.euphonix.com/artist/index.php

Table Syrup Records
05-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Tascam FW1884. Modeled after the Pro Control if you ask me.

I loved the faders on it too. They're great.

Has an audio interface built into it with 8 Pre's, ADAT Lightpipe I/O, SPDIF I/O, Etc

Great unit. Obviously can't be used as an interface for Pro Tools, but a GREAT controller for it.

The Pre's and ins CAN be utilized in Pro Tools if you have a PT interface with Lightpipe in.

Then you can use the 8 Pres and ins as additional channels by selecting them as your 1-8 ADAT in PT.

Now, 8 Faders. Bankable to 128 or some crap. Lots of control. Jog Wheel. Transport Buttons.

Assignable function buttons. You can buy additional Fader Packs (Up to 15) for 8 extra faders each.

Argosy makes a console for it.

No Meter Bridge. No 'Edit Pack'. No Joysticks.

I've been harrassing them for years to make all 3. or at least an edit pack.

Firewire connection. Not Ethernet. I believe Ethernet is more stable.

Less dropped connections and freezing due to eating up bandwidth.

Great board. Can be had cheap. Fader Packs can be spendy though.

Keep in mind that replacement faders for the Pro Control are like $125 or $140 each!

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

I miss my FW1884. I've got a Control 24 now. Stable though after receiving a new wiring harness and all new faders.

I miss my FW1884. And wish I had a Pro Control (With all new faders)