PDA

View Full Version : usb hard drive???

lucas12347
08-18-2007, 04:45 PM
hi all,

i was wondering if anybody could tell me if using a usb external drive as opposed to firewire is really all that bad. i'm only going to be doing a track at a time playing everything myself, and i really can't see myself recording more than 10 or 12 tracks total. this must seem like a stupid qustion, but i'm kind of new at this(but i refuse to go back to my old fostex 8 track!) and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Craig F
08-18-2007, 05:05 PM
USB requires CPU power to process requests
FW has a dedicated controller that takes most of the load off of the CPU
this is the primary reason that USB is not supported

but you can try it for yourself, if it works great if not you have a drive to back up onto and some annoying error messages about the drive being to slow

mindnoise
08-19-2007, 10:09 AM
Hi,

i was wondering if anybody could tell me if using a usb external drive as opposed to firewire is really all that bad.

YES.

Suceeding with anything else is just luck. And I doubt you will gamble with the saftey
of your precious recordings.

You may run in any kind of trouble by not using Oxford FW chipsets. That PT will not record
to a USB drive is the best case scenario, here.

regs

sunburst79
08-19-2007, 10:23 AM
Probably a full 25-30% of all of the problems that people have with setting up PT for the first time boil down to.

Recording to the system drive.

Recording to a USB drive.

Recording to a different partition on the OS drive.

While you might get any of these to work for a short time eventually problems WILL rear their ugly head. Always at the worst time too

USB drives, recording to the system drive, ETC are all listed as being incompatible for a reason....

Search USB Drive and you will find a lot of posts about problems

lucas12347
08-20-2007, 07:13 PM
i figured as much, just thought i'd make sure. thanks for the help!