PDA

View Full Version : Effects Routing

BobNunn
08-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Can anyone suggest the best way to route individual channels to my plug in effects? For example, my first twelve inputs are wireless hand held vocal microphones and I would like to use Revibe on some of them. I'm using all 16 of my AUX outputs to send to Aviom.

Sheldon Radford
08-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Hi Bob,

There are a few ways to do this - but first I'm curious about the 16 aux sends feeding the Aviom system. Are individual channels being sent to each Aux send (and then on to the Aviom), or is each Aux send a sub-mix of several channels?

If you find some of the auxes are only being used for a single channel it’s best to use that channel’s Direct Output - instead of an entire aux bus - as the send to the Aviom system. An aux bus is best suited to mixing several channels, so using Direct Outputs for individual channels could free up some auxes to be used for plug-ins.

Assuming the worst case – that all auxes are indeed carrying multiple channels each and are needed for the Aviom system – here are some options:

Option 1
Each channel features a Direct Output, with variable level. Route the channel’s Direct Output to a reverb plug-in, just as you would an Aux send (this is done by using the “Directs” option in the plug-in routing pulldown menu). Don’t forget to turn the Direct Output control on.

Think of the Direct Output as a simple “one channel” aux send. In other words, each wireless mic channel could be routed to its own reverb, compared to the aux send approach which allows all of the channels to be mixed to a single, common reverb.

Option 2
This one’s a bit more advanced, and uses the console’s Matrix section to emulate an Aux bus.
1) Select an unused Matrix output
2) Open the User Assigns dialog and assign up to 8 channels to as user inputs.
3) Within the Matrix mixer, assign each of the user inputs to a mixer channel. (Don’t forget to turn each channel on and set its level).
4) Route the Matrix output to a plug-in, just as you would an Aux.

So in essence the Matrix becomes a limited version of an aux send.

One last note: be sure to check the User Guide for details on the various pickoff points (places in the signal chain) available for Direct Outputs and Matrix user inputs. For a reverb send you’ll most likely want to use the post-fade pickoff point.

Sheldon

BobNunn
08-05-2007, 06:19 AM
Thanks Sheldon. In fact, I was looking to the Matrix bus as a possible solution. But I also do have a couple of my aux channels that are single assigned (such as the Bass guitar and a keyboard) that would give me an opportunity to use Direct out. Good idea. I would like to bring the effect back through an FX Return. However, I sometimes don't see that as an option. In fact, I selected an available Aux 5 as the input for ReVibe and when I click on the dropdown box for Outputs, only the Inserts are available. What are some of the rules here?

Bob

Sheldon Radford
08-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Hi Bob,

...and when I click on the dropdown box for Outputs, only the Inserts are available.

Plug-ins can be connected in two different ways: inserted directly on a channel, or fed by a bus output, such as an aux.

Inserts will typically be used for things like comps, gates and EQs that you want to place directly in the signal chain on a single input or output channel. The bus fed approach is used for things like reverb and delay, where you send a submix to the plug-in and then return it back to input channels on the console. (These two cases are not unique to plug-ins - it's exactly what you'd do on an analog console as well.). A third approach is Directs, which we covered previously.

In your specific case, I suspect the Revibe plug-in has been inserted on the aux bus, instead of being fed by the aux bus. It's easy to check: click on the Revibe plug-in's input routing and see if the Aux is selected under the Inserts or Bus Outs menu option. You want Bus Outs. This will then allow you to route the plug-in's output back to an FX Return.

A few more tips:
- Reverbs and delays are usually fed by a mono aux send and return as a stereo output. In this case, choose the "1 in, 2 out" version of the plug-in, under the "Other" menu, instead of the mono or stereo version.
- FX Returns are a handy place to bring effects into, but they're not the only option. Plug-ins can also be routed to any normal input channel. (Keeping in mind that stereo plug-ins can only be routed to stereo input channels). This is useful if you want to put the vocal reverb return immediately next to the vocal channel, for example.

Sheldon

BobNunn
08-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Seems so simple now.... thanks for taking time to educate me.