PDA

View Full Version : excessive noise floor on Monitor Bus, when used as IEM cue

Johnny O
06-25-2007, 12:54 PM
I have a client that is experiencing an unusual amount of noise on the monitor bus. He is mixing monitors to wireless IEMs and has his cue system patched to an analog output on the FOH box. He used a different venue system during his rehearsals, and didn't claim to have this problem until taking out my system. Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Johnny O

Sheldon Radford
06-25-2007, 01:21 PM
Hi Johnny,

I think I know what this is. Go to the Osc/2-Tr section of the console, and press the Talkback switch to select it. Now press the talkback Level encoder so the teardrop LED beneath the encoder is turned off. That should quiet things down.

More details:

The FOH Rack mic/line COM input has a super cool routing feature that most folks don't yet know about. In addition to being routable as a normal input via the Patchbay, the COM input can be routed directly to the Solo (Cue) bus so it's always heard on the headphones/monitoring outputs.

One application for this feature is to route a stage talkback line (or the audio only from a beltpack com system) so it can be heard on phones or on a shout speaker. Here's how:

1) Plug the stage talkback into the Com input on the FOH Rack and adjust the gain using the rotary switch beside the connector.
2) In the Talkback/Osc section of the console, select the Talkback button, and then press the Level encoder on so that the bottom teardrop LED is lit.

This routes the Com input directly to the Monitor bus, without needing to use the patchbay or a channel strip.

Make sure to turn this routing off (by again pressing the Level encoder) when the COM input is not in use - otherwise some low level noise from the unterminated input can be heard. (This is what I suspect is happening in your case.)

Sheldon

Johnny O
06-25-2007, 01:31 PM
What can I say.....You nailed it. Thanks, Sheldon. One more thing to keep in mind.

Thanks,
Johnny O

Johnny O
06-25-2007, 01:31 PM
What can I say.....You nailed it. Thanks, Sheldon. One more thing to keep in mind.

Thanks,
Johnny O