PDA

View Full Version : Audio restoration....

assemblyworker
05-21-2007, 05:23 AM
Hi folks....

Can anyone help me out here?

I'm doing a 'lost archieves' project at the mo and the track I'm working on is a complete PITA!

I believe it was originaly recorded on 4 track cassette some 20 years ago and it sounds like the copy I have was then left in someones car stereo for the last 10 years!

So far I have used Audacity to clean it but even with the lowest settings it has created some nasty digital artifacts, like those really poor MP3's you sometimes hear.

I have also processed it with a Waves C4, Maasenburg EQ and an additional compressor. I have then sent the signal to an exciter to try and restore some top end, a harmoniser to try and get some width (the file is mono), fed in some of the untreated signal to try and hide the digital glitchyness and finally to a parrallel bus to try and restore some punch.

I'm still far from happy with the results!

£20,000 Pro-Tools rig but yet no proper tools for this job (I used to have a Bomb Factory noise meter, like I need a f****** meter to tell me it's noisy! But this seems to have disappeared sinse the move up to 7.3).

Can anyone help me out on this?

Many thanks

T.A.W.

mhmh
05-21-2007, 06:34 AM
I can recommend waves“ ZNoise. It has produced better results for me than anyting else I“ve used.

Martin

assemblyworker
05-21-2007, 07:47 AM
Thanks for that, after a VERY long winded installation process I got the demo of this. Hopefully this will get me on track.

Cheers

stmiller
06-15-2007, 08:50 PM
I find Cool Edit Pro (older Windows app) has amazing filters and scientific tools for this sort of thing.

Stiff
06-16-2007, 08:08 AM
I pretty much never do this type of work myself so I haven't really tried them, but isn't Cedar and Cube-Tec supposed to be good? Might want to check them out.

mampam
06-19-2007, 09:21 AM
email or post all or part of it and I'll see what I can do (free for the look-see).
[email protected]