PDA

View Full Version : FX Return question

dth122
05-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Is there any way to return stereo FX plug-ins to two mono channels so that I have faders for independent level control over the L and R channels? I know that I can use the pan on a stereo channel, but that doesn't really give me the control that I need. I also know that I can route the returns out in hardware and back in to two mono channels, but I don't have i/o to spare.

If there isn't a way to do this now, I would think it would be a nice feature to have.
- Dave

Sheldon Radford
05-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Hi Dave,

Stereo effects can only return to stereo channels (FX Returns or any stereo input channel), but there are still a few ways to control the relative L/R balance. All stereo channels feature a Right Offset parameter which can be used to trim the right side of the stereo pair relative to the left side. (And on D-Show Main/Sidecar this parameter can be flipped to faders).

If it's more of an asymmetrical panning arrangement you're after try using the balance (pan) control along with the stereo width control to place the effect within the stereo image.

A good trick for looping out/back into the console is to use the digital 2-TR in & out connections on the FOH Rack. Even though these are 2-channel ins and outs the left and right sides can be patched independently to/from mono channels.

Hope this helps!

Sheldon