PDA

View Full Version : mp3 option purchased, now needs Quicktime?

awritersparadise
02-15-2007, 08:55 PM
I've just purchased the mp3 option for pt 7.3.1
It told me I didn't need to download anything, just open up my original installer and make sure the mp3 option is checked. I did this (unfortunately, I unchecked the other things not knowing it was UNINSTALL my entire pro tools... but I'm over that problem now!)

Back and ready to use the mp3 option and when I go to IMPORT audio ... and choose an mp3 it says "must be converted because it is not an audio file type that pro tools can use directly"

and it converts it to wav. (this isn't what the mp3 option does is it?)

ALSO, my main problem with it is on half of the mp3s it says
"cannot be used because QUICKTIME is not installed"

So I went and installed quicktime from apple.com.
still says it.

So I looked this up in the supportbase and read that if you install quicktime after pro tools it might still think it's an unknown file type. It says to delete all digi databases and restart pro tools.
I did this.

but still won't import the mp3
it hasn't even asked for my authorization code!

Any clue?

Stacy

zombie69
02-15-2007, 09:51 PM
(this isn't what the mp3 option does is it?)

The mp3 option lets you bounce to an mp3 file.

It will ask you for the authorization when you try to bounce to mp3 for the first time.
I'm not sure about the quicktime issue. Hopefully someone here will have the answer for that. Did you install just the quicktime client or did you install itunes? I found that for importing cd audio files I needed to have Itunes installed. I don't know if it is related to your problem though. Hope this helps.
-Steve

awritersparadise
02-16-2007, 12:41 AM
Thanks..
yeah it's weird..
my main reason for buying it was to IMPORT mp3 into session without always having to go to another software and converting mp3's to wav, then importing those wavs into the session.
When I had pro tools 6.4, it'd always prompt me for my mp3 pro authorization code anytime I accidentally tried to import an mp3 into the session.

Now that I work with mp3 files regularly, I decided to purchase the mp3 option.
Yet, when I try to import those mp3 files, I get those messages..

I am curious about this, however... I'm able to import SOME mp3's into my session - they just simply have to convert first but pro tools is doing it. is this something new with pro tools 7?
I was worried that I may have just bought the mp3 option and it has nothing to do with IMPORTING mp3's but only BOUNCING to mp3.
but I see here on the digi site for it, it says:
"Will do both Import & Export of MP3 audio to and from Pro Tools, and requires Pro Tools v5.1 or higher and Digidesign hardware"
and under requirements it says nothing about QUICKTIME!!! argghh.

Either way, I still get that quicktime error.. and what MP3 has to do with QUICKTIME, I don't understand. Why does Pro tools say it needs quicktime.. and now that I have quicktime.. why does it still say it?

spkguitar
02-16-2007, 04:54 AM
From the Pro Tools Reference Guide, page 820:
Quicktime is required for Pro Tools if you plan to include movie files, or import MP3 or MP4(AAC) files in your sessions.

It is also listed in the Getting Started Guide for each Digidesign product (for instance, page 14 of the 002/002r GSG):
QuickTime 6.5 or later is required for Pro Tools
if you plan to include movie files, or import
MP3 or MP4 (AAC) files in your sessions.

Clearly noted in the documentation.

awritersparadise
02-19-2007, 12:35 AM
Thanks spkguitar.
The need for quicktime, you've no doubt cleared up.
But, as mentioned, I immediately went and downloaded quicktime 7, installed it.
and it still gives me the same message when I try to import.

Any help on that would be most appreciated!

Thanks

S

spkguitar
02-19-2007, 06:10 AM
I would try reinstalling PT and the MP3 option. Might be a problem with the sequence of installation (pt->mp3->quicktime instead of quicktime->pt->mp3).

If that doesn't work, I would recommend calling Digidesign tech support.

tapani
05-09-2007, 11:31 AM
I've just purchased the mp3 option for pt 7.3.1
It told me I didn't need to download anything, just open up my original installer and make sure the mp3 option is checked. I did this (unfortunately, I unchecked the other things not knowing it was UNINSTALL my entire pro tools... but I'm over that problem now!)

Back and ready to use the mp3 option and when I go to IMPORT audio ... and choose an mp3 it says "must be converted because it is not an audio file type that pro tools can use directly"

and it converts it to wav. (this isn't what the mp3 option does is it?)

ALSO, my main problem with it is on half of the mp3s it says
"cannot be used because QUICKTIME is not installed"

So I went and installed quicktime from apple.com.
still says it.

So I looked this up in the supportbase and read that if you install quicktime after pro tools it might still think it's an unknown file type. It says to delete all digi databases and restart pro tools.
I did this.

but still won't import the mp3

Any clue?

Stacy

have identical problem.
did a search here and found this thread.
anyone yet found a solution?

thanks
tapani

Vlad Drac
05-11-2007, 11:14 AM
spkguitar is right. You'll probably have to re-install pro-tools.
I recently bought the MP3 option and had some complications that frustrated me to the point of re-installing PT and walla... it worked!
Hopefully you'd have the same luck.
-Vlad

PeterU
07-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Have you tried shortening the audio filename? IT WORKS!!! Long filenames ALWAYS give this error. Not sure how long, but make it short!