PDA

View Full Version : Very interested in VENUE - couple questions

organik
01-24-2007, 02:39 PM
How steep is the learning curve? I have a background with Logic Pro, and Cubasase before that, so I'm no stranger to computer based mixing.

Also, can you use regular pro tools TDM plugs, or just specific Venue plugs?

And last, is there a feedback destroy plugin? I've grown accustomed to using dbx feedback suppression instead of regular EQ, and would miss it - I'm trying to replace a couple racks of gear with the venue.

thanks -

- Josh

Scott Fahy
01-24-2007, 03:01 PM
josh,

I'm an old (I did sound for Moses in the desert) analog dude and the learning curve for me was fairly quick, I downloaded the software and "played" with it for a month or so. The hardest thing for me was getting used to all of the features the board has available. I am also one of those people who figures oh what the heck just turn knobs until something good or bad happens. If you are familiar with Cubase or Protools you are already a step ahead of me. Regarding the DBX eq, what are you using it for?

Scott

organik
01-24-2007, 03:40 PM
I'm using dbx feedback suppression via a driverack. Automatically detects feedback and places a very narrow notch filter to remove it. End result is better feedback suppression with more natural sound than just using a graphic. Just wondering if there were any venue plugs like this (or any in development).

albee1952
01-24-2007, 07:31 PM
You will certainly replace most of your rack gear but if you rely on the feedback killer, you may need to hang on to it as I am not aware of a plugin that does that. Most experienced engineers would reserve that piece for special occaisions. In any case, to the best of my knowledge, most TDM plugins work in the Venue. As for the learning curve, you can be mixing in minutes. The things that take a little while are mastering plugin routing(which you don't need to get started), effect routing and file management.

organik
01-25-2007, 12:39 AM
one more question then - is there a graphic eq plug included that is more full featured than the graphics that are built in? That is, can I replace my proteas with a plugin?

Scott Fahy
01-25-2007, 08:42 AM
I would keep the Protea as a system tuning tool and use one of the parmetric plug in (Focusrite) to make adjustments during the show. A properly aligned and tuned system will also reduce the need for the feed back suppressor too. I used to use the Sabine ADF 4000 to get rid of feedback but the more I learned about system tuning the less I used it.

Scott

organik
01-25-2007, 10:06 AM
"Most experienced engineers would reserve that piece for special occaisions.", "A properly aligned and tuned system will also reduce the need for the feed back suppressor too."

How about, "most engineers that mix monitors from FOH and have inexperienced musicians screaming for ear bleeding monitors on stage use automatic feedback suppression", or "most engineers that use 18 omnidirectional lavs on a children's group that barely eek their lines use a feedback suppressor".

If I were doing rock n roll, or concerts in general, I would agree with those statements about AFS. Strange that there would be this bias against AFS? Doesn't anybody ring out a room anymore? Does it not work better than a graphic for that purpose?

I'm just struggling to find room for inserts on the FOH rack, while leaving my playback gear patched. I'll figure it out.

Scott Fahy
01-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Sorry if my post was offensive it was not meant that way. I've done middle school and high school musicals with 24 improperly placed lav mics, 4 hanging mics, 8 handhelds on stands about 3 feet in front of the vocal ensemble, and a jazz band directly behind the perfomers with 4 trumpets doubling the vocal lines and a director screaming "Why can't I hear the vocals". 4 monitor mixes from FOH, a recording feed via a matrix. And this was all done on an under powered mono cluster with an old Yamaha PM1800. OK enough of that it was painful remembering those days. I have nothing against AFS units, and yes I do ring out the room, feedback sucks.

Gettng back to the D Show, I think with the on board capabilites (channel EQ, parametric plug ins) you may find that there are enough tools at your disposal that the AFS will not be as necessary. Not to say that the AFS still can't be patched into wherever you need it for that extra peace of mind or that 6 db for the deaf guitar player with his ear in the back of his knee. I would highly encourage renting a D Show and try one on a show and put it through it's paces you will be very impressed.

Scott

Edited for spelling and ADD moment of missing entire words

organik
01-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Ah, you feel my pain. I work at sort of a half professional theatre, half community theatre. Everything from mounting large national tour musicals, to grade school holiday programs and everything in between. Good times.

Thanks all for your help, I think I've got my system scoped out and in a couple weeks I'm getting a demo from Schubert Systems here in So.Cal. I'm excited about the possibilities of using plugs and full snapshot automation - we often have split weeks of one show rehearsing, then another load in, reh, performance, then the first show comes back for a performance. Kills me everytime. But if I could store a show and recall later...

albee1952
01-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Well, you described exactly what I would call SPECIAL OCCASIONS. I have no ax to grind with feedback killers at all. It looks like you are using them as intended which makes perfect sense. I have seen less experienced folks use them under the assumption that there system is properly eq'd or tuned which is not exactly correct. But I always operate under the rule that: if it sounds right; it IS right.

Ted Blaisdell
01-27-2007, 07:51 AM
Hey Josh,

I work at a fixed setup in here so cal. You could come by and see it in action.
Give me a shout via email.

Ted