PDA

View Full Version : Micing drums w/limited pre-amps

Vlad Drac
01-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Hey All.
Just looking for some quick opinions here.
I have access to 3 or 4 tube preamps, but have 8 drum tracks to record.
What would you put the "tube love" on?
My last session (and the first time I was able to use tube preamps), I put the kick, snare, and a distance mic (25' away) and it was fine for what we were doing and I did notice a big improvement over direct-to-mixer, but I'm thinking putting a tube-pre on the kick is a waiste 'cause of the limitied frequencies I'm looking to get anyway.
I know there's really no right or wrong in the project studio, but I'm looking for some new ideas/suggestions.
Thanks,
Vlad

French links
01-17-2007, 06:03 AM
hi ya

It really depends the kind of mic you have...With your tube preamp you should route the kick drum, the snare and the hihat.
For the kick it depends again of the position of your mic.Even if the frequencies are limited there's style the "skin" sound, and to get it really full you should take it thru the preamp.
If you have the digi 002, use the 4 built in preamps for the other tracks, and plug your preamp on 5-8 with XLR-balanced jack (don't forget your switch on +4).I had very good results.
hope it does help

therecordinghouse
01-17-2007, 09:57 AM
what kind of "tube preamps". there are some that i wouldnt touch with a 10 ft pole.

Vlad Drac
01-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Thank for the feedback.
I'm using the 001 (which is being fed by direct outs from a Behringer board).
As far as the preamps, there nothing special.
I have an old ART dual channel, single rack space pre, and the newer ART Digital MPA.
The single rack has no features (besides phase, phantom, etc.), but is tried and true and sounds good on acoustic instruments.
The Digital MPA I haven't used yet, but it boasts more flexable features.
Any feedback on the MPA would be appreciated.
Thanks!