PDA

View Full Version : more thoughts on the need for a better log

KingTor
10-30-2006, 05:12 PM
OK, so here I am again to complain about the lack of useful infromation available to us, the administrators, of our DigiDelivery servers.

I'm working with someone in Taipei, Taiwan. She had some trouble this evening connecting to my Serv|LT (the DigiDelivery client said to her "cant find the server"), and then eventually did manage to connect, although the connection was weak and told her it would take 2-1/2 hours to download less than 600MB worth of material. That connection eventually failed. She then succesfully reconnected (starting over from the beginning of the delivery) and the client showed a much stronger connection and told her it would take about 30 minutes. My List Delivery never changed from "Pending" to "Downloading" but finally changed to "Received" about 35 minutes after she'd started downloading.

Which is not to say that I would be satisfied if the server told me that she was "downloading," although it would be a good start. It seems to me as though I should have access at my end to the same information that the client software reports at her end. My business parter was looking over my shoulder and saw our client report to us that it would take 30 minutes to download, and said "why does she know that and we don't?" That strikes me as a pretty good question, and I don't like not having an answer to it.

I need to know when someone is connected, how strong the connection is, how much data is being transferred at what rate and what errors occur during the transfer.

Please.

Thanks,
Tor

aprilpsw
11-01-2006, 11:37 AM
I totally agree - we're having the same issue with clients trying to upload to our Digidelivery. Today we had a client who tried to upload a file that was uploading extremely slow, and it'd be helpful to have an activity record of who was connecting to us, when, and what they're trying to do.

KingTor
11-09-2006, 01:52 PM
I don't know if this is common knowledge, but I was just told about it by Joel at Digi and thought I'd share:

ask your clients to create a folder called "Logs" in the DigiDelivery application folder, this will prompt the DigiDelivery client software to create a log file everytime it is used. Then after the first failed download, have the client send the log file from this folder to you.

Here are the locations to create the Logs folder:

On Mac OSX:

Mac HD / Applications / DigiDelivery

On Windows XP

C:\ Program Files\DigiDelivery

It's kind of written in Greek, and the only one I've looked at is from a successful delivery so I'm not sure how helpful it'd be without sending it on to Digi Tech Support, but at least it's more information than we get from the Server. I'd still much rather the client software automatically send these logs to the server, giving the administrator access without making our clients trouble-shoot for us.