PDA

View Full Version : Venue User Survey: Channel Ordering Strategies

dstagl
08-22-2006, 07:14 AM
This is a question for current users. How do you approach laying out your channels on the Venue for use with multiple banks? Where do you put things for 24+ channel setups? Do you stick with a traditional setup and let things lie where they lie or do you move channels around so that you have certain instruments/vocals in a particular place or on a particular bank?

Personally, I start with a traditional layout and then move lead vox so that they're right next to the master section. However, I'm starting to get into larger setups, and I'm curious how people are handling this.

Thanks,
Dave

musicman476
08-22-2006, 09:01 AM
We put the rhythm section sans drums and percussion on layer A of our sidecar, as well as any additional wind/string instruments. The Pastor, Worship Leader, and Praise Team are on layer A of the main unit with the layers unlinked between sidecar/main. The drums, percussion, and any additional wind/string instruments are on the sidecar's layer B. Likewise, the Choir is on layer B of the main unit. While we generally mix off the VCA's, it's nice to have those channels on top that you need to grab most often.

-Dustin

mixFarm
08-22-2006, 10:57 PM
hi, it depends where your sidecar sits. my personal choice is having the first sidecar on the right side. that gives me the VCAs in the middle of the console. i have all important drums on the first 8 channels banked from A-D.A:Kick,Snare,HH, Bass, Guitar,... B: Toms, OHV, Rest of the drums. C: Specials. you have do decide how important is the time to switch to the other layers. this defines wich channel should be on the top layer. on the right side, yeah vocals first, then all other important instruments. i prefer to have all important things near the center of the console, rather than filling the top layer to the end. bettern on layer B that too far away. i dont mind havin the last 4 channels on the top layer empty, because they are to far to reach. this setup works only if you have a band you work with over longer term. i have all my plugin effects saved in snapshots. i nearly never go back to the FX-returns. Some of the FX returns are sitting on the top layer on the right side. e.g. the most important delay, or the vocal plate.

regards

the miXfarm

eytan
08-23-2006, 12:03 AM
. Some of the FX returns are sitting on the top layer on the right side. e.g. the most important delay, or the vocal plate.

regards

the miXfarm

Hi,

Amazing how my mind is so limited sometimes. Just because the FX returns channel are labled the way they are, it never ocurred to me to use the other "regular input channels" for effects returns, it makes life so much easier to have your delay return on the same layer as your main vocal channel.

dstagl
08-23-2006, 08:10 AM
Amazing how my mind is so limited sometimes. Just because the FX returns channel are labled the way they are, it never ocurred to me to use the other "regular input channels" for effects returns, it makes life so much easier to have your delay return on the same layer as your main vocal channel.

I've just been assigning the first VCA for my delay return for quite a while. Now that I've gotten so used to the delay being there it would be hard for me to reassign the return to a channel.

Dave

SteveGam
01-04-2007, 03:54 PM
I've just been assigning the first VCA for my delay return for quite a while.

I use a VCA for vox FX send control. That way I can let FX trail out natually without worry of further input!

If put in many hands, a hammer becomes an entire toolbox!!!

_Steve