PDA

View Full Version : Number of voices, DSP, setup...

miha78
07-25-2006, 01:38 AM
I need an advice in regards to setting up pro tools. We bought HD3 and I was wondering if anyone has some tips in how to set them up...How many voices?, DAE playback buffer..

Thanks in advance

Stig Eliassen
07-25-2006, 10:34 AM
Voices - I would recommend starting with a low setting, and simply increase the number when needed.

DAE - the default of 2 has always worked for me. I actually don't have any knowledge about this, so maybe others can explain. Check the manual, as will I.

H/W buffer size - 256-512 samples is a fairly good balance between latency and performance. If you experience CPU spikes, it might help to increase the buffer size.

Congrats on your new system.

crizdee
07-25-2006, 10:57 AM
I need an advice in regards to setting up pro tools. We bought HD3 and I was wondering if anyone has some tips in how to set them up...How many voices?, DAE playback buffer..

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Well this reall depends on what type of sessions you will be running! are you running midi tracks, are you running lots of RTAS plugs or just TDM, how many audio tracks are you running etc etc.

You can set the number of voices to the minimum voicess per amount of tracks, say 2 dsp 96 voices, but if you start to get error messages during playback, then you might need to allocate more DSP's per voices, say 3 dsp for 96 voices etc.

buffer of 256 is a good balance of performance and delay compensation setting! a higher buffer will cause a higher delay reading on channels with RTAS plugs etc. making the buffer higher will give you better/more RTAS performance! especially on big RTAS VI's!!

Leave the DAE buffer at level 2 unless you get problems with bouncing to disk, then try level 4 or 6.

Chris