PDA

View Full Version : Alt Src to Mon

mrblakemr
07-18-2006, 09:14 PM
I'm using two soundcards with my computer set=up: The first is 002R for pro tools, recording, mixing, and editing; the second is EMU 1212 as my soundcard for any other computer applications (I use this soundcard to listen to the music on my computer). I have one pair of monitors (Alp5s) and using it for both applications.

I've got the physical set-up of all the cables working perfectly, but seem to have a big problem with noise when I use the alternate source to monitor. My Alp5's are connected directly to pro tools. The 1/4" stereo out from the EMU card is going connected to the RCA "alt src to mon" on the 002.

In pro tools, I can hear audio whether I use the main monitoring or "alt src", but the "alt src" is much more noisier. When I'm not using pro tools and listening to music (wmp11) I have to use "alt src" and it is still very noisy. So I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing anything wrong, if better RCA cables would solve the problem, or if "alt src to mon" is just doomed to be noisy on the 002R.

Any kind of suggestions, examples, or opinions are welcome.

Also, the EMU card has ADAT opticai I/O and SPDIF I/O connectors. WOuld these be better to use and if so, then how?

Thanks in advance.

niknak
07-19-2006, 12:17 PM
the alt source is a consumer line level input. (cd players and the like) not intended for pro hardware interface if i recall. your best bet is either use 002 as primary sound card for listening to music or, hook everything up with a patch bay (the best thing to do in my opinion).

hope this helps you somehow.

-niknak

also,
the emu might just be noisy output...

cfb25
08-15-2006, 09:41 PM
Had the same problem for awhile..... Go to Guitar center, and buy the nicest shiniest most expensive BALANCED CABLES they have.. These got rid of a noise which i was referring to as the bane of my existence... I tried everything, different configs, powerconditioners... and nothing, but balanced cables made my set-up quiet again... Everyone allways says quality cables, and now i'm a believer

thenchel
08-18-2006, 11:04 AM
I just use a small rackmount mixer.