PDA

View Full Version : Giga on Mac Mini in Boot Camp

Dan Pinder
07-18-2006, 02:49 PM
This is a crazy idea, but do you think it could work? I only need to play one sound at a time, so I'm not worried about performance across many tracks. My major concern is the GSIF-sound card thing. Is it a set of guidelines but you can try your luck with other sound cards, for example? i would need the Boot Camp drivers to be able to use the Digi outs on the Mini.

Then again, I could wait for the Mac RTAS plug-in coming in the Autumn.

mishar
07-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Already tried it.

Ran Gigastudio 3.12. And tried it with Giga Teleport http://www.fx-max.com running over a LAN. That way you don't even need a Soundcard or midi interface. You get a little bit of extra latency, but for my purposes it's manageable. Try it out first ... see if it works for you.

You probably should store your samples on a firewire drive though. I'd think the system drive might have a little trouble keeping up.

Dan Pinder
07-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Nifty!

But it looks like it doesn't support RTAS, so what host did you run it from?

mishar
07-20-2006, 03:14 PM
Sorry,

I neglected to mention the fact that I run it through the VST-RTAS wrapper made by Fxpansion.

You might have to play around with the buffer settings a bit initially, but I've got it running fine with about 15ms with no glitches at all.