PDA

View Full Version : loop lock

ruztig
06-21-2006, 09:42 AM
Hi guys,

I am a electronic producer and always worked with cubase now i made my switch to protools 7.0.
Everything works fine only i have some problem with looping.
If i start working on a song i begin with a 16 bar loop until i have enuf tracks i wil create my song out of this loop.
But every time i have my loop running.... press stop.... edit something ....and press play again my loop points are gone.
Is this normal or is there a way to lock the loop.

ruztig

filosofem
06-21-2006, 02:51 PM
ruztig

You need to select your loop with Link Timeline and Edit Selection (http://archive.digidesign.com/support/docs/70/Pro%20Tools%20Reference%20Guide.pdf#page=285) enabled first, then unlink it, and enable Link Track and Edit Selection (http://archive.digidesign.com/support/docs/70/Pro%20Tools%20Reference%20Guide.pdf#page=286), this will maintain the Playback Markers of your loop, whilst editing.

filosofem

ruztig
06-22-2006, 07:38 AM
alright thanx...going to check it out tonight.

Sonny in London
06-23-2006, 06:34 AM
Does anyone else think that this is something that needs to be easier and more intuitive in PT?

It is frustrating not to have it loop logically like Cubase and Logic.

ruztig
06-23-2006, 08:40 AM
sonny

For me it would be a lot easier if you just have one button that put`s it in loop mode.
But i am new to protools and everything is different for me.

filosofem

I did what you have explained ,put it in link timeline and edit selection-select the loop then unlinked it,and enable link track and edit selection.
But stil if i press start it just loops fine if i press stop and start again my loop is gone.

Am i doing some thing wrong?

Thanks for your help.

filosofem
06-23-2006, 01:52 PM
ruztig

Make sure you have Insertation Follows Playback disabled.
Either 'N' or Setup>Preferences>Operation>Insertation Follows Playback.

filosofem

filosofem
06-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Hi Sonny

Does anyone else think that this is something that needs to be easier and more intuitive in PT?

Differently, although I'll say that I've never worked with Logic or Cubase and my opinion is a little unweighted, but like the reason why Memory Location Markers, apparently, can't be linked to Regions, there must be a reason for this as well.

filosofem

ruztig
06-24-2006, 01:48 PM
thanks filosofem it works perfect now

jshep0102
04-21-2023, 06:51 AM
I'm on the current Studio subscription. I tried the method below half a dozen times, following the tip "You need to select your loop with Link Timeline and Edit Selection enabled first, then unlink it, and enable Link Track and Edit Selection, this will maintain the Playback Markers of your loop, whilst editing". I assume " Enable Link Track and Edit Selection" means I start the process with it disabled.

This process saves the selection - temporarily. I made screenshots of the process setting it up and what happens -
When I choose a different insertion point to play back from, the loop start/end jumps to that point. If I reenable Link TL -Edit - it returns to my original selection. If I then choose another insertion position - the memory of all that setup is lost. I have to repeat the process. Ad nauseum. Am I doing this wrong somewhere or is this the designed reaction of PT?Please tell me there's a way to make this work in perpetuity.

So far, this is the only thing in PT I'd call needing an overhaul. I have been pleasantly surprised how much better the cpu performance is vs 2 other competitors. Regarding loop though, 2 other DAWs prior was simply select the range, turn on loop, play from wherever and every single time - the loop selection stayed in place. Please let there be an answer for this. Thanks alot

jshep0102
04-21-2023, 07:24 AM
I was failing with this method until its2loud pointed me to dynamic transport. This method requires it be on. Noob learning..