PDA

View Full Version : Making POD (or other DI) Guitars Sound More Real

rockrev
05-22-2006, 07:06 AM
I recently discoverd this on the McDSP website and it works rather well. If you have Analog Channel, try this on any POD, Amplitube, and/or any other DI recorded electric guitar track:

The AC2 Plug-In can further the pursuits of THE guitar tone with the playback head section. Insert the AC2 Plug-In on a guitar track (distorted or clean). Starting with the factory default setting, select the 'USA-M' playback head. Using a Freq control value of 100 Hz and a Bump of 100 (6 dB), a subjectively pleasing EQ curve is setup. Over-biasing at 15 ips (even 7.5 ips) will give a tone closer to that of many guitar amplifiers and speakers. Use a Release control time of at least 1.0 seconds to avoid any pumping effects (unless desired).

Also, an old fav trick of mine for spicing up these same types of tracks is to bypass the verb on your POD (actually, the PODxt verb sounds pretty good - this tip is more for the POD 2 and/or early versions of Amplitube) . . . anyway bypass the verb on the POD 2 (or whatever), setup a stereo Aux and insert Waves TrueVerb, choose the "Guitar Room" preset, and finally, send the guitar signal to the verb aux in subtle (or not) amounts. Much more of a realistic sound (unless you're going for the springy verb vibe).

rockrev

ondruspat
05-22-2006, 07:59 AM
I definitley agree with ditching the reverb on most the simulations. I like to make my recordings as "dry" as possible and tweak them later anyway. I've also found that using multiple amp sims and mixing them can greatly improve the tone. I usually record to an audio track and have the output bussed to two or three aux tracks with Amplitude on them. I have different tones set on each instance of the plug-in and tweak and mix them until I like it.

davemc
05-22-2006, 08:03 AM
If I have to pod it. I will go through my API pre into my Neve 2254 compressors for color. Although I normally prefer to use a amp. Depends on what sound they want.

rockrev
05-22-2006, 08:15 AM
You are right - amps are best; however, if you're mixing a project with a POD, etc. track on it, the AC2 trick really helps to smooth things out with a warm and subtle saturation.

rockrev

Matthew Skinner
05-30-2006, 12:19 AM
The waves http://www.waves.com/content.asp?id=1684 GTR bundle is also a great way to get a more realistic guitar amp sound.