PDA

View Full Version : recording bass with my mbox ?

hodge
03-04-2006, 01:43 PM
I just started messing around with the bass. I layed down some tracks with the bass plugged in to my mbox, but It just does not sound that great. Do i need another device that would make it sound better ?

Tgrokz
03-04-2006, 05:27 PM
well you got a few choices. the mbox should have came with the multimedia pack, which has amplitube le(or whatever the innitials after it are), and you have a few good choices and ways of messing around with that. load up a new track and put on amplitube as a plug-in (in the "other" folder) and you can chose from one of the presets, or just mess with it. if you have an amp modeler (line 6 pod for example), you can use that. you can also always mic your amp using a sm57, which is what i have my people do. hope that helped.

albee1952
03-04-2006, 07:43 PM
not sounding great is a subjective statement so consider a few things. Is it a good bass or a cheap bass? Are the strings in good shape? Does the player have decent technique? No offense intended but those things do matter. Are you in a small room? Maybe your monitoring is not accurate in the low frequencies so you aren't really hearing it correctly. The average home/project studio has poor accuracy in the low end due to room modes. Auralex foam is useless for these frequencies and a bad room will trump great speakers every time. To give you an example, my room had been treated with foam, but it still had 2 peaks of +12 and 2 notches of -12db all happening between 80 and 150 Hz. Bass traps evened out the response but bass sounds before adding traps, were never right even though I had 2 different sets of good monitors(Mackie 824's and Event SP8 Active).

hodge
03-04-2006, 07:55 PM
you know it can be any of those lol. I just bought a cheap bass to learn with, and the room is not so great. So that could be it. I just heard someone saying something about a di box before the preamp, but i could be wrong. Im going to try the plug in and see if that helps.. THanks

Tgrokz
03-04-2006, 10:51 PM
i was going to suggest checking his recording conditions, but he said it was a direct in to the mbox, so theres no space factor. i have never liked the direct in method. even with a pod or amplitube or whatever. a live sound has always been my choice.

albee1952
03-05-2006, 07:55 PM
No space factor in the recording, but still room effect when listening back over monitors.