PDA

View Full Version : Insert Silence function ?? what's the use for this

andre tchmil
03-01-2006, 01:07 PM
We all know the "strip silence " function, right ?
But how hard I try, I cannot find a good use for the "insert silence " function.
Anyone out there that can guide me or give me some examples ?

thank you

The golfer
03-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Andre ,

One application is cleaning live recorded dialog . If you strip silence a field recorded dialog you would have silent gap between dialog lines.This doesn't sound natural. By copying the dialog track on another track and extracting the dialog you keep the roomtone or ambiance sounds to make an bed track (shuffling all piece of roomtone together so you can use it as a roome tone track) to make the dialog sound more natural. Digidesign has make it easier to extract those pieces of sound instead of doing it manually.

filmixer
03-01-2006, 02:48 PM
"Insert Silence" is commonly used in post production for conforming sound to a new version of the picture. Say you get a new picture that has a scene added that is one minute long. You would go into Shuffle mode, group everything, place your cursor at the beginning of the new scene, type in the length of the new scene and "Insert Silence". This will move all the sound down the timeline, leaving room to build sound for the new scene and everthing you already had after that in the correct position.

The golfer
03-02-2006, 06:31 AM
Sorry Andre,

I thought we were still in "strip silence" and you were asking about the new "extract" feature.

minister
03-02-2006, 11:53 AM
well, i use it failry frequently, any time i need to insert space and time on the timeline. i am not trying to be flip....

i do it in music if i have to insert time into a tune, put in a new part. if i recorded it to a click, then i use grid mode, select my measures, switch to shuffle and insert.

in vo sessions and editing, i do it to move stuff down to make a whole for some -- especially if there are a lot of things down line.

i do it when i design sounds.... need to insert and element between the end of one and the beg. of another, or in the midddle....whatever...

andre tchmil
03-02-2006, 01:13 PM
yeah I'm talking about the extract function, inside the strip silence window.

minister
03-02-2006, 04:22 PM
oh.

i don't know.

xbook
03-02-2006, 06:34 PM
Andre,

Here is an example of how I use the "extract" command within Strip Silence. When I am making some "fill" for cutting dialogue, I use the extract command to have PT pull away everything that is above a threshhold. This leaves me with a bunch of snippets of audio that doesn't have DX on it, but it does have the BG FILL that is with the track. This saves me having to go thru and get rid of all of the bits of talking. Which, I used to do by hand and would be a lengthy process. This is one of the new features in PT7 that I find to be a graet enhancement to the editing toolset.

In RE: the "Insert Silence" command. To echo what someone here also said, we use that in Post-Production to insert a specified amount of footage into our tracks. Let's say the picture has a 4 foot insert @ 500'. I can have that exact amount of footage added to all of my tracks, and it will then help me to put them all in proper sync. This can be done other ways too, but CMD-SHIFT-E is a wonderful way to do this.