PDA

View Full Version : Windows Button

iLikeBeer
02-28-2006, 05:15 PM
Can I disable that ******n windows button so I can use my frickin key commands properly? And also stop the Alt key from highlighting the menu while I'm at it? I realize that things will work peachy if I hit my key commands bang on every time but from time to time I'll hit the windows button but will change my mind and then I gotta mess around to get the start menu out of my way. Man I wish I had a mac... Thanks to anyone who can help.

GeneralChaos
02-28-2006, 09:46 PM
If Pro Tools is the main window that I am working in on my computer (XP Pro) then the Windows key does not work...weird that it is on yours. What version of PT/Windows are you running?

Some things that you can try:

Right click on the taskbar and select properties. Either select "Autohide the taskbar" or deselect "Keep the taskbar on top of other windows"

Alternatively you could try right clicking the taskbar and making sure there is not a check mark next to "Lock the taskbar". Then position the mouse over the very top edge of the taskbar unitl you see the cursor change to the 'resize' option. Then drag the taskbar down to the bottom of the screen until it is no longer visible.

GeneralChaos
02-28-2006, 09:51 PM
Another thing that just came to mind. I am running Windows XP in Classic mode. This causes the Start menu and taskbar to look slightly different but actually saves some processing power since the Classic theme doesn't use a bunch of useless color gradients.

To change to the Classic theme right click anywhere on the desktop and select Properties. Then go to the "Appearance" tab and under the Windows and Buttons section select "Windows Classic Style"

I am unsure if this will work since both Classic and normal yeild the same results for me but at least you get a much less annoying taskbar IMHO

iLikeBeer
03-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Well I tried all that, still no change. Just so you know, Im running XP Home and LE 7. I will have the PTs window open and if I hit that darn button, blam! start menu. Maybe I'll just have to live with it. If anyone can figure this out, thanks a billion.

Andonyx
03-03-2006, 10:19 AM
I just ran a comparison, and this may be the weirdest thing ever.

I just upgraded to 7. The editor in audio 1 upgraded two weeks ago. We are both using identical Dell Xeon workstations with identical keyboards. For reasons that baffle modern science, his Pro-tools makes the start menu pop up and mine doesn't. When he hits his windows key if he doesn't select a region and move, the menu will come up. In mine if I hit the windows key the icon turns to the scrub speaker.

There is absolutely no discernable difference between our workstations, except I have a logitech MX 518 mouse and he house a Logitech MX 500. That is the only quantifiable difference.

I thought maybe digidesign had snuck in a slightly different software build during those two weeks, but I found out today that he used the same download to install both of our machines, so the build is identical.

The only possible difference I can figure is that up until the upgrade he had been running 6.9, and I had been running 6.7. But since the installation asks you to uninstall first I can't see how that would make any difference.

daeron80
03-06-2006, 08:07 AM
There's a whole thread about this problem:
http://duc.digidesign.com/favlinker.php?Cat=&Entry=32722&F_Board=UBB32&Thread=928829&partnumber=&postmarker=
or if that URL doesn't work for you, see
Pro Tools LE Systems >> Pro Tools LE Systems on Windows: 002, Mbox, 001 >> PT 7 LE, Start menu appearing?

It's a problem that only occurs on certain systems, apparently a minority. The digi techs recently located a machine in their shop that exhibits it, and are working at figuring out what the heck's the dang deal. Meanwhile, you just gotta adapt.

Please add your voice to the thread mentioned above, on the theory that the more votes we get, the harder they'll work on fixing it.