PDA

View Full Version : that ghostly "poltergeist" fade in like sound for

genebadd
02-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Can anyone explain how one would go about getting that cool ghostly-like fade in and fade out sound you here in scary movies like poltergeist and kick ass metal vocals?? I hope I explained it correctly, I'm not really to sure how else to explain it...Anyway if anyone knows what I am talking about I would greatly appreaciate it...seems like multiple delays with a bit of feedback and a steep fade or so...Havent had much luck trying to achieve it,,

thanks for your time..

Gene

Ryan Young
02-20-2006, 07:48 PM
I don't know if I'm imagining the sound effect, but here's what I think you're getting at...

Duplicate your vocal track as it's own track. Use Audio Suite reverse that track, so it plays backwards. Then, Audio Suite reverb on that track, make it pretty "wet". Audio Suite reverse that track again. You can choose to add a little Audio Suite or RTAS reverb on the original track to affect after the words are said. Play both tracks simultaneously, mess with the levels of each, and there you have a reverse reverb (ghostly fade-in and ghostly fade out).

You can add or substitute the reverb with some delay, and use the same technique. Try it with a phaser, chorus, flange, anything to make it unique. I hope this isn't a random rant on how to do something that you didn't want to know about. Good luck!

Shan
02-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Can anyone explain how one would go about getting that cool ghostly-like fade in and fade out sound you here in scary movies like poltergeist and kick ass metal vocals??

Gene

A 'how to' guide by a master mixer. (http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB2&Number=542834&Forum=All_Forums&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=541400&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=392&daterange=1&newerval=5&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post542834)

Hope that helps.

Shane

spkguitar
02-20-2006, 08:13 PM
Damn, and here I was going to post my cheesy help page (http://badhabitstudios.com/help/protools/howTo/howToReverseReverb.php) on the subject. I can't compete with Charles...

genebadd
02-21-2006, 09:10 AM
OHHHHH!!! You guys are all F'n awesome...I can't wait to get up to the studio and give it a shot....Thanks for your help....

andrew gold
02-21-2006, 02:48 PM
in potergeist it was a reverse echo thing.........the delayed longish echo was recorded and then played backward for each word....so the echo fades in (backwards) and then the word comes...also, they had it panning all over the place....(mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmooooooMOMMY?)

How they did it I don't know....thjere are a number of echo programs that you can use that do that great, or do that sort of....of course, you can do it easily with any reverb program......one way is to just play the voice backwards, and put a predelayed long echo on that. Then record that whole thing, and turn it forwards WITH the echo mixed together with it, or recorded on nother track....which will now play the word sort of backwards, but in front of the word, and it will also sound like the word forward...but fading in creepily....I love that sound. Many horror films use that since poltergeist, but that was the first time I heard it in a movie i think.