PDA

View Full Version : Upload time purchase decision

RobMacki
02-06-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm looking at a workflow that would justify the purchase of an LT.
It would involve transfers of a TV series of OMF / QT from the production co to me then back to them.
If I sent layback of either .WAV or QT movie to them via DigiDelivery, how long would their upload time be?
How long would upload to me be if the DD was on my end?
In other words how long do transfers take?
They are 7 miles away. Would it be faster for me to drive and pick up a dvd or should I seriously look at getting an LT?

Is that enough information for an accurate answer or does it all depend?

Thanks

RobMacki
02-06-2006, 12:44 PM
ok I found this:

Q: How fast is DigiDelivery?
A: That depends on everything from your connection speed and the speed of your CPU to the amount of traffic on the Internet. All other factors being equal, DigiDelivery will be faster than FTP because of its lossless compression and efficient communication protocol

Any real life examples that can be shared would be helpful for me to make a decision.

RobMacki
02-06-2006, 06:51 PM
hello?

aagrp
02-07-2006, 12:00 AM
what is the total data size of one of the sessions you would transfer?

RobMacki
02-07-2006, 07:54 AM
They would be transferring to me an episode of OMF and QT so I guess coming in would be anywhere from 1.5-3 gig.
Back to them from DD would be either the stems or stereo mix or a bounce to QT 300 mb - 2 gig.
Rough guess.

DigiTechSupt
02-07-2006, 09:36 AM
Here are a few approximations given a 2.25GB file, assuming a 25% file reduction with compression of a 3GB file:

384Kbps upload speed it would take ~ 14 hours
768Kbps upload speed = ~ 7 hours
1.5Mbps upload speed = ~ 3.5 hours

All the approximations include a 10% reduction in transfer speeds for common transfer and transmission protocol overhead and assume 'best case' scenario upload speeds. The 'upload' speed is the data transmission speed to the recipient and not between your computer and the Digidelivery server. These times would be how long it may take the recipient to receive the delivery. The time it takes them to upload a delivery will be dependent on the upload speed of their internet connection.

RobMacki
02-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Thank you.