PDA

View Full Version : Using 48khz ADAT I/O w/ 96khz session... (002R)

jtoole
01-30-2006, 02:07 AM
I'm currently using a 002R rack and typically working in 24/96 mode w/ PT7. I am considering purchasing an Alesis AI3 or similar ADA box to add an additional 8 channels of i/o for outboard inserts, etc using the ADAT lightpipe.

What limitations exist in using the ADAT interface which I believe is capped at 24/48 w/ a session using 24/96 on the 002R's inputs?

Will PTs handle all the sample rate conversions behind the scenes? When using ADAT i/o channels as inserts will PTs automatically downsample to 48k for the send, and upsample the receive back to 96k?

Also - any recommendations on an ADA box is welcome - this is for inserts so mic-pres are not a requirement, though don't hurt. Anyone using the AI3? Do the converters sound usable?

Any and all comments, thoughts, etc are appreciated...

jt

albee1952
01-30-2006, 09:38 AM
You can't record 96K thru the lightpipe input. If you must record 96K, either go thru the 002 inputs or SPDIF(2 channels only). The only sample rate conversion I am aware of is when importing audio files. I would stay at 48K myself but if you have 96K projects started, the lightpipe will be useless. With so many good plugins available, what are you hoping to insert?

jtoole
01-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Well I typically use 24/96 to remain compatible w/ the commercial facility where I also use protools. They use HDTDM and most projects are done 24/96.

So does that mean that in a 96khz project the ADAT lightpipe I/O is disabled? Is this mentioned in the specs or docs for the 002r? (sorry if I missed it)... Disappointing.

As to 'why' use inserts:

1) I own some outboard effects boxes and plugins are often over-priced. (I wouldn't buy from digi because they'll probably be giving them away in a month anyway - I'm bitter over buying an 002R and now they offer the factory bundle for free instead of an extra $399)

2) High quality analog equipment still stands on its own. At the commercial studio we use Vintechs, Manley gear, Avalon, UA, Drawmer, etc... Still beats plugins IMHO... I've got a few peices at the LE studio as well...

jt

albee1952
01-30-2006, 11:58 PM
Good points for sure. AFAIK, the lightpipe does not function of your session is at 96K (or 88.2 for that matter). I also feel your pain with the ever changing deals. Glad I got into mine used so the sting wasn't as bad. I had to ask about the inserts as some folks think they will make great recordings by inserting the cheesiest stuff going. You can still work at 96K but that lightpipe jack will be like a scab you're dying to pick at.

jtoole
01-31-2006, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the info - I found a section of the 002r doc that confirmed as much... A bit of a bummer, although I can probably just run 24/48 for stuff at home unless I specifically need to work w/ a 96 project...

jt