PDA

View Full Version : When will we finally get PT 5.0 ?

Nerdly
10-07-1999, 03:50 PM
I've seen a 60 day version for people to test out. Kinda wondering why many of us did not even get that ? Ooopps I'm sorry, it just slipped out.

Avid
10-07-1999, 09:10 PM
You're talking about authorized beta testers. We have had over 200 revs of PT 5 already, but none of them are "demo" versions http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif
Our current ETA for the final release is still about 4 weeks away.

Bruce Paine

outrage
10-08-1999, 04:11 PM
hmmm... good to know. Does that mean you start shipping in 4 weeks if everything goes well, or what?

10-08-1999, 11:18 PM
Regarding the expanded midi sequencer in 5.x, what will it do or not do compared to 4.3.x specifically? Using a discreet sequencing program is really not the hot setup for speed. (importing, exporting, tandem edits, syncing if needed, etc) I would love to be able to use one program exclusively for my projects. The "all purpose audio sequencer programs, to the best of my knowledge (looking for help here), do not address all 32 busses in a mix plus and do not offer some of the best features of PTools.
I can't say I've tried all the sequencer programs out there, so if anybody has a favorite or a suggestion, that is what I am looking for in this post.

Thank You

John McDaniel
10-09-1999, 07:16 AM
Bruce writes (or if you prefer, Prez sez):

>Our current ETA for the final release is still about 4 weeks away.<

At AES, PT 5.0 did not contain a new ProControl profile incorporating the new 5.0 features. Will a new PC profile be included by the PT 5.0 release date, and will it incorporate the new features?

regards, j mcd

Somebody
10-11-1999, 09:14 AM
I hear you Carlisle, I've used Cakewalk, LAP, and CuBase, and they all suck. There are always so many problems they have to fix with their audio side of the program- the only thing they do well is Midi. Pro Tools is the greatest for audio production, if they could just add some of the Midi features these other programs offer, it would save a lot of time. Like let me at least see the program names on all my modules in PT. I think they won't give us what we want because of the business of it, but before I start dissin, let me see PT 5.0.

Joris Vincken
10-11-1999, 11:49 AM
The midi part in PT5 will have a piano roll editor (kindof like the midi is in 4.3). Editing seems to be handy with velocity curves, controller editing and ofcourse PT great automation. Unfortunatly the quantising is destructive in the first release and has no groove quantise.
At the moment I use Logic 4 with TDM and I like it very much. The only bad thing about it is it's plug-in automation. Great things that are missing from PT (even in PT5) are stereo tracks, multiple plug-in windows and chaning plug-ins while Logic plays. It would be hard to live without those basic things again.