PDA

View Full Version : VOCAL PLUGINS

JAEPILLA
10-25-2005, 12:29 PM
I currently have waved diamond bundle but I'm pretty much tired of those plugins now. I just wanted some input from you guys about what good vocal plugins you would suggest if i;m just trying to acheive different sounds and effects to use on vocals...by the way im using le 5.3.1

rockrev
10-25-2005, 12:35 PM
Tired of Waves Diamond? Well, that's a lot of stuff there - hard to believe anyone could be tired of that. Sounds like you need to try something pretty different then. Ever tried using plug-ins that weren't necessarily intended for vocals (like guitar plugs, etc.)? What about running them out to old crappy sound processors from the 80's & 90's (you can find them dirt cheap at any pawn shop, music store, or even ebay). I like using the Digitech GSP-7 guitar processor on vocals - the best "crap" you've ever heard. Anyway, back to plug-ins . . . have you purchased the VST wrapper? There's a good many free plug-ins out there. Maybe you'll find something there.

Tired of Waves Diamond . . . wow. What's the world coming to?

rockrev

JAEPILLA
10-25-2005, 01:22 PM
i knew i would hear that, let me rephrase myself, im tired of playing with the plugins attempting to make new sounding vocal effects.....im not at all tired of the overall bundle, im very pleased and to tell the truth its things in there that i can't be tired of yet because i can't work them!! guess i should have attended school for engineering first huh?

spkguitar
10-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Honestly, and no offense intended, but learning to use what you already have (and spent a boatload of money on already) before you blow even more money on more stuff that you have no idea how to use is probably the best idea.

Producing, Mixing and Mastering with Waves: $80 (http://www.waves.com/content.asp?id=677)

That said, go ahead and blow some more money on Antares Vox. It's about the only one I can think of that isn't already represented in some way in the diamond bundle or in the stock digi plugins.

ejwells
10-25-2005, 02:26 PM
Waves Diamond is certainly a good "jumping off point".
I added the McDSP Classics Pack, and Antares AVOX.
Personally, I'm as happy as a clam, and will probably be even happier when I get my Pultec and Slightly Rude with the 7.0 upgrade.
Buy buy buy, that's what I say.

JAEPILLA
10-25-2005, 04:00 PM
[QUOTE]
Honestly, and no offense intended, but learning to use what you already have (and spent a boatload of money on already) before you blow even more money on more stuff that you have no idea how to use is probably the best idea.

Producing, Mixing and Mastering with Waves: $80 (http://www.waves.com/content.asp?id=677)

who said i paid for the plugins?

rockrev
10-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Well, we (at least most of us) did [pay for it], and piracy is not tolerated on this board. Waves isn't a charity, so either you've got a financial backer who buys you all of your toys, or you're pirate . . . Matey. Comments like yours will have you walkin' the plank in no time.

rockrev

Shan
10-25-2005, 04:46 PM
who said i paid for the plugins?

Yikes!

I was gonna offer my personal suggestions for Vox plugs but maybe not. The software companys I would be recommending, although are the best, dont have thousands of employees with tons of share holders that can afford to lose stolen property with a minimal loss.

Sorry.

Shane

will the moor
10-25-2005, 07:21 PM
80 bucks for the vst>rtas wrapper can free you from stolen plugins.

Will

chahende
10-25-2005, 08:01 PM
what is the vst rtas wrapper?

JFreak
10-26-2005, 02:45 AM
go ahead and blow some more money on Antares Vox

i'd say save your money on this one and hire better talent to do the job... it'll sound better.

JFreak
10-26-2005, 03:03 AM
its things in there that i can't be tired of yet because i can't work them!! guess i should have attended school for engineering first huh?

yes. let me tell you how to improve your skills with a simple and purposeful method of redoing and relistening:

1) remove all plugins, center all pannings, and lower all faders to -12. now play with faders until your mix sounds nice. listen to what you have and what effect each track has on the music. don't care about the fact that it's not finished yet, just play with the faders until you're satisfied with the mono balance.

2) play with pannings. think about what you want to leave to center and about what you want to spread. tweak the stereo image until the mix sounds a bit nicer than your mono balance; you will have to repeat step one after pannings.

3) after listening to your mix for a while, take a break. don't get fooled by the excitement your mix draws you into, but rather force yourself to have a cup of coffee. relax. the world will not collapse within the next ten minutes.

4) after the break, listen to your mix with lower levels than before break. try to select the tracks that would benefit from little (low and high pass) filtering, and then remove unnecessary frequencies with an eq plugin of your choice. i use URS eq's but you might have something else. don't use any other eq just yet, only filter out unnecessary stuff. then repeat step one.

5) select the tracks that need to constantly be in front and compress those tracks. then repeat step one and check step two.

6) make a mental note about how nice your mix sounds without ever touching reverbs or delays, and using eq only for filtering. congratulate yourself if you have indeed amazed yourself. all this work you most probably have just not done before, as you probably have just put in the countless reverbs and effects wondering why the mix never "gets there".

7) now free yourself to do whatever, because you have a professional-sounding rough mix to begin with.