PDA

View Full Version : Pro Tools With Analog SSL

Lukassus
10-23-2005, 07:52 AM
Hello,

Automation, and Full Control from SSL 4000 g+ of Pro Tools is Possible ??
How Contecting Analog Console to Pro Tools ????
And PLease Tell ME All What You Know about That !!!

Thank You !!!

CYA !!!

Transmission_Audio
10-23-2005, 08:12 AM
Hello.

i donīt work with SSls so i canīt tel you about the automation thing, but Pro Tools can be connected to any desk with using the (different) interfaces. My PT is connected via the 888/24 IOs to the mixing console. Hope this helps.

Ben B
10-23-2005, 08:57 AM
I can't see a way for an SSL4000G to control Pro Tools for automation, using a G series computer and the standard SSL VCAs. You could sync them, though.

SSL has put out some new consoles with DAW control capbilities recently, but they're not going to have the same comprehensive control over Pro Tools as would an Icon, but they'd be a step above the G series.

-Ben B

Rail Jon Rogut
10-23-2005, 11:14 AM
There's no way for an SSL to control the Pro Tools automation (except their small AWS900 which acts as a MIDI controller). If you decide to use the SSL automation, you can synch Pro Tools to your SSL via SMPTE (there are some specialized boxes which emulate a standard tape transport for full automation control on the SSL).

Rail

dchapp33
10-28-2005, 04:10 PM
http://www.jskengineering.com/product%20pages/prod06.htm

http://www.smartresearch.co.uk/2Tools/index2T.html

Craig F
10-28-2005, 06:51 PM
those are Machine Control adaptors so you can run Pro Tools the way 2" machines once were

Rail Jon Rogut
10-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Right - they're "specialized boxes which emulate a standard tape transport for full automation control on the SSL".

Rail

dchapp33
10-28-2005, 07:32 PM
yep....transport control..........as far as controlling pro tools automation from an SSL 4000......don't know of any way to do that other than with a separate control surface.....C8, C24, ProControl, etc

MarkPresti
11-11-2005, 02:37 PM
If you have an ssl...why use the protools automation? things generally sound better going through the analog gear! and, hahaha, it's more fun mixing on a console than clicking around in protools. you just have to sync up with smpte. shouldnt be difficult.

dchapp33
11-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Most likely just a matter of comfort and preference. By using individual Pro Tool outputs, and monitoring through the SSL, of course you'll be able to interface with whatever outboard gear you have available in the room in the usual way...patch bay.....and also still use some plug ins if you want to.....some people use the SSL just for monitoring and do all of the automation in Pro Tools. Others like to use the SSL for monitoring and automation....that's what the transport interface boxes mentioned above allow you to do.......to use the console for transport control with Pro Tools, like it did/does with multi-track tape machines. For me, it might depend on the amount of tracks used in the song. For more complicated mixes, I actually prefer to just use Pro Tools automation and only monitor through the SSL, using mainly analog outboard for processing.....also less time for stop/start/locate that way. If it's not a complicated arrangement or a song that doesn't use a lot of tracks, something very simple and short, I might just use the SSL for both monitoring and automation. By using Pro Tools for all of the automation, I can achieve way more intricate, detailed and complicated automation moves than I would with SSL automation. For me though, I really do prefer to use a large frame analog desk to return my individual Pro Tools outputs to. I tracked and mixed "in the box" for 3 years and really missed the sound of the analog desks (SSL, Neve). In the past year or so, I've been able to return to that environment. If it was always up to me, I would always run Pro Tools through an analog desk, but a lot of times these days, you don't always find yourself in a studio with a desk to work on.....you are in someone's home, or hotel, etc. with minimal set ups. I think it's valuable to know how to get good results using both methods.....ITB and OOTB.