sixxdog
09-29-2005, 05:58 AM
hey guys, im into making heavy metal music

just want to no what the best plug ins are for this style of music

also i need a good vocal plug in or mic plug

any suggestions??

rockrev
09-29-2005, 07:25 AM
If you're "making it," plug-ins shouldn't be an issue right now. The main thing is to track all parts the best you can and get them sounding right *before* pressing record. The less processes you have to rely on, the more transparent the recording will be (trust me on this - many people think you have to process every track, but it actually sounds better when you only do what is necessary). When you get to the mixing stage you will need some plug-ins - mostly standards like EQ, compression, delay, and maybe a touch of reverb. I suggest the Waves Musician's Bundle II - that should start you out just right (that and the included DigiRack plug-ins).

rockrev

Shan
09-30-2005, 02:18 AM
100% agree with rockrev.

There are many great plugins that can be used for Metal. I'm very partial to the Sony Oxford Reverb. It's a great non-convolution style verb. URS EQs definitely rock. And a big thumbs up for McDSP AC1 and AC2. Cant live without those ones. DUY valve does wonders on kick and snare alot.

Shane

Endure
09-30-2005, 01:06 PM
Hi I have a little time and knowledge I don't mind sharing on this, so I'll give you some tips that address your question and then some.

If you're into Metal then check out the forum at Andy Sneap's website http://andysneap.com/forum.html He is really known for great heavy guitar sounds and mixes. He is big on using the Waves C4 Multiband Compressor for getting heavy guitars sounding amazing, and I believe he is even posted his C4 settings on his forum to share. The forum is also full of metal guys trading mixing ideas, etc and between there and the DUC should be able to chalk up some good ideas for your own mixes/recordings.

I would agree with the suggestions so far, especially Waves and McDSP plugins. If SoundToys ever get WinXP support going they will be up there as strongly suggested as well.

If you are looking for sequencing your drums my suggestion for drum sampler plugins would be:

- DFH or Drums from Hell (Meshuggah's drummer did a lot of the playing on that one)
http://www.toontrack.com/superior.shtml

- BFD (done by Steve Duda engineer for NIN, Pitchshifter, A Perfect Circle)
http://www.fxpansion.com/product-bfd-main.php

BFD has an advantage in that you can have multiple outputs and assign the individual parts (snare, bass drum, overheads, etc) to individual tracks in ProTools and mix drums normally rather than working with just a stereo output from the plugin.

If you are fortunate to have a talented one and are recording a live drummer you will probably want to look into expanding your Mic pre inputs on your LE system. You will want either a ProSonus DigiMax, Focusrite Octapre, or Mackie 800r Onyx which all offer 8 mic pres that can be flown into your 001, 002, or 002R via the Adat input for multiple drum mics. If you have an MBox this option isn't available.

Best of luck and above all have fun creating.

bb_aus
09-30-2005, 08:59 PM
step back from plugs and processing start with the instruments then sort out the mics, look towards 3 sm57s a beta52 somethign for overheads and a nice Large diaphragm condenser and you will be on your way
very important to get good drums, number one tunes the drums, use a 57 on snare and EQ it nicely, i like a nice cracking sound, works well and easy to get
use a beta52 on kick, notch out a bit around 250Hz and you should be get a nice clicky metal style kick drum, might also want to add a bit more top and bottom but the 52 will do most of it for you
just use the digi EQ3, it works well

experiment with guitars, start with a 57 on the cab, play with positioning, EQ on the amp and the reordered track. get a DI, try the sound and amplitube or SnasAmp PSA if you have it, try blending a the clean DI sound with the amp.

you will want to find a good delay for vocals, PSP 42 and 84 are good plugs and the package has a new one as well or a TC Electronics D2 is great if you like hardware and has some extra cool features. you dont need to buy reverbs for metal, its mainly delays and the Dverb will give you a basics reverb

personally Iím not a fan of waves but everyone has their preferences. i advise you to demo the plugs before you jump into any such bundle, its not a cheep mistake. everybody seems to rush out and get plugs but start with the stock digi bundle and learn what you are doing are very powerfull.

tball
10-01-2005, 06:42 AM
METAL

1 Part Maiden
1 Part Priest
1 Part Sabbath
2 Parts Ronnie Jame Dio

Let boil in a cauldron of blood.

Add a dash of Crue.

Best served with a side of early Metallica.

Adorn your table with pentagrams,candles,20-sided Dice,reefer,goats head,Budweiser Tall boys.

Proper attire is black on black or faded blue jeans with plenty of inverted crosses.

Serve to taste.

max cooper
10-12-2005, 08:50 AM
hey guys, im into making heavy metal music

just want to no what the best plug ins are for this style of music

also i need a good vocal plug in or mic plug

any suggestions??

What's a mic plug? You mean an XLR?

If I were you, I'd invest in a few nice hardware pieces rather than a hard drive full of plugins.