PDA

View Full Version : help! direct boxes and unbalanced signals

djkiller
09-28-2005, 11:46 AM
i'm gonna try to make this as less complicated as possible.

ok here's my problem. i am running a digi002 that has two main balanced trs jacks(L,R) going out to a behringer mixer. the behringer mixer has 1/4 ts balanced mono inputs and trs stereo unbalanced 1/4 inputs. i have experienced some wierd levels in my mixes which are all set and bounced at 0db.

so my question is, do i need trs 1/4 cables going from my digi 02 main(L,R) to go to the trs unbalanced stereo inputs on the behringer using a direct box to change the signal on the behringer to balance it and have a nice clean set up?

as of now i have a show soon and don't have access to getting any direct boxes that soon. i thought i might run a left and right tr 1/4 into the 3-8 outputs on the digi 002 that support mono and into the behringer balanced tr 1/4 inputs and just pan hard left and hard right. could this kinda compensate for the time being?

another thing i was thinking was maybe getting 2 cables with an xlr to go to the beringer with a trs on the other end going to the L,R on the digi 002, maybe that would work?

i'm a little new to some of this and i'm kinda lost at which route i should take to solve this problem.

i would greatley appreciate any feedback

albee1952
10-03-2005, 10:50 PM
First thing, you need to get back on the right track as you have things mixed up. TRS is the balanced connection. TS is the unbalanced connection. Balanced TRS inputs are usually designed to recieve a +4 signal (which the 002 is happy to deliver). Use TRS cables and do an experiment. First-patch from the 002 directly to your amp/speakers and set a comfortable level (ideally, use the signal generator plugin and pink noise with an SPL meter). Now patch into your mixer, set the mixer master level at -0, set the inputs sliders at -0, adjust the input gain to achieve the same volume that you had when you bypassed the mixer. That should put everything at unity. Having said all that, why have the mixer in line? Maybe a speaker switcher (Samson C-control, Presonus Central Station, etc) would be a better choice.