PDA

View Full Version : Frontier Tranzport

Stig Eliassen
09-21-2005, 04:48 PM
Hi.

Is this controller any good? I'm fed up with long pre-roll/countoffs while speeding to my recording room. I do most of my work alone in the studio, and running back and forth isn't a good workflow. I really like that you can select and arm tracks, and adjust levels with the Tranzport. Are there better alternatives in the same price range?
Thanks.

ripple FX
09-21-2005, 06:36 PM
I've been using one for about 3 months and find it very convenient for just the scenario you describe. I also like sitting on the couch with my tranzport and wireless talkback switch directing voice over sessions. It has a rather limited LCD window for information, so I use it primarily as a transport controller.

If I need more extensive control of PT, then I use my Powerbook in the booth running VNC software to control PT on my G4, both with Airport cards. It's a little slow responding, but very handy.

I wonder if anyone makes a "reverse" KVM switch that switches one computer between two displays/USB? Then you could have full control of PT from the booth. Hmmm.......

Craig F
09-21-2005, 07:10 PM
that would be an extender http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2294

ripple FX
09-21-2005, 07:30 PM
That's certainly a great extender. But I'm talking about a switch. Let's say I'm in the control room and need to go to the booth for some overdubs. I throw a switch that turns off my monitor and keyboard in the CR, and sends those to the Gefen extended KVM in my booth.

gwailoh
09-21-2005, 07:50 PM
Instead of a switch you could use a dual monitor plus a wireless keyboard & mouse. That was my intention, before the TranzPort became available.

Brad Ryan
09-22-2005, 08:36 AM
I 2nd the VNC approach..

I use my laptop and control the machine in the control room.. I can record drum tracks by myself all day.. If you have wireless and a laptop it is the way to go!!

-Brad

Craig F
09-22-2005, 11:24 AM
With the extender you would not need to turn off the monitor in the control room. all you would need to do is turn the monitor on or off in the studio according to what you need.
I have extenders installed in 3 Dub stages so one can access the computer form the mix position and the machine room. This is essentially want you want to do.

cedarstudios
09-22-2005, 05:48 PM
I got an extra video card for my G5 (two monitor outputs) for a total of 4 outputs. I have two LCD's in the control room and a monitor in both the live room and vocal both both equipped with wireless mice and keyboards. It makes it a breeze when I am tracking by myself. I just go to where ever I want to record and I am ready to go. It took a while to get configured properly but now I love it.

Hogie
09-23-2005, 05:53 AM
Does anyone know how this controller communicates with PT? (quasi-key commands or midi?)

i just wish there were keyboard shorcuts to do things like jumping to prev and next markers, muting/soloing a selected track.

like really what's the point of the goto track command (option-command-g on mac) if you can't mute/solo it once the track name is selected?

mkosacek
09-23-2005, 12:38 PM
I use the wireless keyboard approach myself. for what I needed, the Tranzport was overkill.

Stig Eliassen
10-21-2005, 02:01 PM
Hi.

I bought this thing recently, and it works great. No more running back and forth between the recording rooms and the control room. Right?? Wrong. I did not consider the issue with stuck notes when I ordered Tranzport. Is there a solution to this, except printing synths and samplers?
Thanks.

roeder
10-24-2005, 10:03 AM
VNC software?? Tell me more?

/HC