PDA

View Full Version : The best $30 I ever spent...

mkosacek
09-19-2005, 05:35 AM
Ok, the best $30 I ever spent (or at least recently), is a wireless keyboard and mouse. Actually the wireless keyboard was what I needed. I looked at the Tranzport (http://www.frontierdesign.com/) but it was $200 and had more features than I actually needed. All I needed was the ability to remotely start and stop recording. The footswtich on the Digi 002R unfortunately only allows quick punch. But now, for a mere $30, I can pickup my keyboard, sit behind the drum kit, or sit down with a guitar far enough from the computer that I don't get hum though the pickups, hit F12 (or slap the spacebar if I've already armed) and voila! I got mine at Fry's electronics, but you can pick them up almost anywhere from Walmart to Best-Buy in this same price range.

Highly recommended!

superpenguin79
09-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Michael: congrats on the wireless rig! Definately helps to start and stop from a distance for sure. Just a tip, when I built my machine, I scored a brand new Logitech Wireless keyboard/mouse combo off of ebay for $2.00 and it was $7.00 to combine the shipping all together if I recall.. they are dirt cheap out there and work flawless from the company I got mine from. Haven't even had to change the batteries once in more than 6 months.

bwherry
09-20-2005, 08:47 AM
Hey mkosacek,

Congrats! I was like you at one point -- I only needed to start and stop recording from behind the drums. I was using a wireless keyboard for a while, but sometimes (because of interference, who knows) it couldn't communicate. so I ended up holding the keyboard up, waving it around in the air, repeatedly pressing Ctrl+Space... made me crazy. Granted, I had a fairly inexpensive wireless keyboard/mouse, but frustrating nonetheless.

Then the Trazport came out.

I probably would have been happy (as you are) with a good wireless keyboard, but MAN, the Tranzport is awesome. Being able to navigate through the session, change fader levels, jump to different markers, etc... Really nice. Best $200 I've spent!

Brian

Hogie
09-22-2005, 12:38 PM
wow... the Tranzport is a slick little unit!

do all of the function buttons work with Pro Tools?

does it send key commands into pro tools or is it midi based?