PDA

View Full Version : A list of very "CPU hungry" plugs

cheekypaul
09-06-2005, 04:27 AM
I'm not saying i don't like them, i do like them, i'm just saying they're cpu hungry and you should bare it in mind before purchase, always check out the demo.
These are the ones i can play 3 notes on or use only 1 instance of, before they crack up (and that's with 1 midi channel, 1 stereo aux and 1 master fader) Not that useful.

Camel5000 RTAS - Some awesome sounds, as long as i only play 1 note at a time.
Ozone3/Spectron/Trash - again, mix to stereo and start a new session to use this mother.
Reaktor5 - The good ensembles are huge power eaters.
Arturia - anything by Arturia, minimum spec. should read Dual 2.7ghz G5.
Rob Papen - Any Linplug, i particularly love Robs stuff, just need to update my processor.
Waves - Some and not all, Ultrapitch, TransX, Soundshifter.

audioidiot
09-06-2005, 07:13 AM
check out Waves APA hardware - you can open all Waves 'cpu killers'. web page (http://www.waves.com/content.asp?id=1622)

cheekypaul
09-07-2005, 12:45 AM
Maybe I should have added that the WAVES plugs are good but not worth the extra CPU. (or the money) IMHO.

Muddy Run
09-08-2005, 09:41 AM
The Waves reverbs are very hungry...but I think the quality is outstanding...I like the eqs a lot too...they don't take up all that much processor...

I'm very impressed with my Rennaissance Maxx Package...and did have to upgrade my cpu to use it...but it's well worth it...

MissHiss
09-12-2005, 06:31 PM
I have the full version of Amplitube running on an old g4 with a 001 and PT 5.3. If I just run two instances of Amplitube, I often will not be able to run any more plugs whatsoever.