PDA

View Full Version : Proposed M-Powered setup(s)

Cuahtemoc
08-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Can you guys point out any flaws and offer suggestions to improve this setup ? I want to spend as around $2000 AU and be able to record a minimum of eight channels simultaneously into pro tools. 12 + simultaneous would be preferred if possible.

At the moment, I'm looking at two possible setups:

1. Digi 002r, M-Audio Octane preamp

2. M-Audio FW1814, Pro Tools M-Powered and M-Audio Octane preamp

The way im looking at it at the moment, option 1 give me 2 more preamped channels, but im not sure about the quality of the 4 Focusrite pre's on the 002r. Would there be a significant latency difference between the 2 setups? Option 2 is cheaper and would give me a bit extra to spend on misc bits and pieces.

I've already got most of my mics and a computer - i'm currently using a Delta 1010LT into Cubase. I guess the cheapest option would be to keep the 1010LT, buy M-Powered and get a better quality preamp, like the Octopre or Digimax LT. With all three of those options, which one would be the best cost/performance setup?

I'm looking at getting this gear to record my band; I've got a Tascam 2488 portable digital recorder available to me but I'm guessing that for making an album that isn't going to offer the flexibility we'd like to play around with, esp when it comes to stuff like soft synths etc.

Any help or advice you guys can give would be much appreciated.

Mad Genius Audio
08-28-2005, 08:07 PM
It's all a matter of personal preference. Honestly, if you pay the big bucks, you get the good stuff (i.e. Digi 001 or Digi 002). If you wanna save a couple thousand dollars, then yes, go with the M-Audio and MP software, and balance your budget accordingly. If you know that you don't have the money to spend on Digi interfaces, then take your alternate choice. Either way, you get Pro Tools, and that's always a plus!