PDA

View Full Version : How do I set up midi

RUNDMOD4MUSIC
08-17-2005, 06:02 PM
This is my first time dealing with midi. I have an ensoniq TS-12 and I have my tracks down in that but i want to midi them in to protools How would I go about doing this to use the sounds out of the ts midied into protools and also how can I play back those tracks to hear it using the sounds I have in the ensoniq?

jonnyrocker
08-18-2005, 05:00 PM
The pro tools manual should have a section that walks you through this in detail, but here is a quick overview.

Some people who are new to midi don't realize that midi is just a language of commands, and not actual audio. To record the commands into your session, create a midi track, route your track's midi inputs and outputs, enable record, and check that you are getting a signal on the level meter of your track when you sending signal from your module. Then hit record in pro tools and play on your ensoniq unit. You should see recorded notes in your pro tools track. These are commands only, not audio.

To actually hear audio, you must create an audio track (I recommend an aux track for monitoring. When you actually want to record the audio, route that to an audio track) Then route your ensoniq's outputs into pro tools, as you would record any other audio source.

Once you have it all routed correctly, try playing back the midi you recorded in PT. When you have your module connected, your midi track will send the commands to the module to play what you recorded. You should then be able to hear it through PT now.

Hopefully that helps. If you need more detail or explanation, I would recommend reading the manual.

But the basic thing is that you need to have both a midi track and an audio/aux track in your session to do what you are describing.