PDA

View Full Version : Auto Tune 4 - does your work?

JLSIII
08-16-2005, 01:07 PM
I bought Antares Auto Tune 4 and while waiting for it to ship across town to my guitar store,
I downloaded the demo, the manual, and the tutorial files from the Antares website.

I installed it as an RTAS plug-in into Pro Tools LE 6.9 on my Spectral RM7000
(Intel Pentium 4 3400 MHz 1GB RAM Windows XP Professional SP2).

In tutorial 4 they introduced the "new improved graphics." What a nightmare!

The line tool sprays silver lines like a machine gun that extend completely off the graph ahd obliterate
the wording next to the buttons in the plug-in window. The silver lines are shooting in the opposite direction
from the direction my cursor is moving. Kind of like a comet's tail. Very pretty, but not useful.

And it won't place the anchor points anywhere near where I want them. Almost an octave away.

Undo removes all the lines from the graph screen but leaves all the silver lines it splattered, hiding the buttons.

Other things aren't working like tutorial 6 describes. Click and drag a curve with the arrow tool moves only one end of it.
There is something wierd about the magnifying tool, too.

I have filled out a support email form twice and haven't gotten an answer from them (yet).

When the store purchase comes I am NOT going to open the box until I find out what is real.

Anybody got this product? Please help!

spkguitar
08-16-2005, 01:10 PM
My full version does the same thing. From what I understand, they are aware of it, working on it, and it should be fixed in an upcoming bugfix release. (that's just what I heard, though. Don't take my word on it).

I never use the line tool anyway.

JLSIII
08-16-2005, 02:05 PM
Thanks, now I don't feel so bad?

I thought maybe it was because I got a blocked trojan horse attempt notice when I visited their website.

I can live without the line tool. But you know, that is not the only thing that doesn't work right.
The arrow tool, when I draw a line through a wavy mess, gives me a downward ramp (the far end won't anchor).
When I process the correction, I get a descending note instead of a corrected pitch. Worse off!

I thought the great thing about this program supposedly was the ability to manually alter what is in the audio file.
You know, selectively edit and tweak little things.

Is it that you never at all manually change what is there and just use automatic mode only?

spkguitar
08-16-2005, 04:17 PM
No, I use manual mode, just not the line tool. I don't have the other problems you are referring to.

JLSIII
08-16-2005, 07:51 PM
Please tell me what do you do to correct only one lead guitar note or one sour vocal note.
Do you use the curve tool and draw a semi-straight line with that? Or what?

I am thinking of refusing the purchase and getting a refund when it comes in.

I tried alternately the Auto Tune 3.5 demo I found on the CD-ROM that came with the book
"Musician's Guide to Pro Tools" (had to move files to DAE>Plugins folder for use with PTLE 6.9)
but found the same bug happens with 3.5.

I really need to be able to tweak only one note.

spkguitar
08-17-2005, 05:52 AM
See Chris Cavell's response in your other thread over in the Windows LE section. (this is why cross topic posting is generally frowned apon, and against the DUC terms of use).

JLSIII
08-17-2005, 06:43 AM
OK, thanks. I will be careful to not do that again.
I originally thought I might find different kinds of users in different kinds of forums,
and I have been following both threads.

By the way, what do YOU do in graphical mode? And what tools do you use?

Chris's post was encouraging, but I don't know how to do what he described.
Didn't have any success moving the whole curve, for instance. Just one end.
And what to do if the second half of the curve is what is in need of tweaking.

It would not be fair to ask you guys to explain these things and I think I could profit from finding a good tutorial on it. The manual tutorial is just enraging.

I am not able to find much literature on how to use anything besides techniques that start with the line tool.
Might you recommend a book?

Bob L
09-14-2005, 04:00 PM
JLSIII:
I bought AT4 some time ago (May? June?) and had the exact experience you describe wrt the line tool. I contacted Anatres the second day, got a response on the third. They were aware of the problem and working a solution. If you check the Antares site's download page and download the current version, you should be all fixed up. Apologies if this is ridiculously old news at this point.

Bob

JLSIII
09-15-2005, 05:18 AM
I don't think so, Bob.

The download at their site is version 4.1.2.
That is the one I had problems with.

I had to get version 4.3 from Antares Support.
It has not been released yet.

bakerusc
09-20-2005, 09:45 AM
I called Antares and asked about the problem with using the line tool, and the tech guy emailed me a fix. He said it's not posted on their webpage yet for some reason, but said that the problem had something to do w/ Pro tools 6.7 and 6.9. You can call them to get the fix or feel free to email me and I'll forward it to you. It's RTAS for PC, I just tried it and it worked. AT4 works and runs great now, including the line tool.

Mark
[email protected]

JLSIII
09-20-2005, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the further info. I am glad they have a fix and are willing to give it to any dissappointed person who checks out their demo and tries it out to see if they want to buy it and finds a total buggy product and panics and who perseveres and calls them for an explanation and some help.

Personally, I wouldn't want my product on the world-wide web with that kind of results when it would be possible to put a working demo on my website for anybody to try without any bugs.

I think some people would not give it a second glance if they encountered that bug while carefully following the exact steps set forth in the Autotune tutorial. Maybe they are losing a lot of sales unnecessarily.

Good for you guys who keep trying and inform us beginners with helping hands. Too bad about those who are too busy or not caring enough to get their act together to furnish a good working demo.

Shan
09-22-2005, 01:24 AM
Auto-tune methods of the pros. (http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB32&Number=871772&Forum=,,All_Forums,,&Words=&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Main=871764&Search=true&where=&Name=17356&daterange=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post871772)

Shane

Boombatty
09-22-2005, 10:05 AM
Before buying Auto Tune, have a look at Melodyne.

I recently purchased Melodyne Uno and I'm fairly happy with it. I have to pretty much do all the work (maybe they should call it manual-tune) but the results are better than auto tune in my opinion.

Uno is also 250 bucks cheaper. (Plus no iLok.)

JLSIII
09-22-2005, 10:45 AM
Before buying Auto Tune, have a look at Melodyne.

I recently purchased Melodyne Uno and I'm fairly happy with it. I have to pretty much do all the work (maybe they should call it manual-tune) but the results are better than auto tune in my opinion.

Far Near!

It can do things that Autotune can't.
Check out the video demo at:
http://www.celemony.com/cms/?id=258#

Thanks, man!

Shan
09-22-2005, 05:55 PM
It can do things that Autotune can't.
Check out the video demo at:
http://www.celemony.com/cms/?id=258#

True. But, check out the SOUND of it before you buy. A few will argue that it sounds to unnatural compared with Auto-tune 4. Try them both then do an A/B test.

Shane