PDA

View Full Version : Help

315AUBD
08-10-2005, 06:55 PM
this is probably a stupid question but, for me everything i record, mix,and master turns out realy quiet compared to other cds i hear, and when ever i turn up the master fader the sound quality gose way down but the master fader is not peaking. If you coulds helpe me out that would be great. Im using PTLE 6.4 and with a 001.

Eless
08-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Turn the master fader down enough so it DOES NOT clip EVER throughout the song. Bounce it to a disk. Create a new session and import the bounced file to a stereo audio track. It's also helpful to take a cd (preferably of similar sonic structure), burn a track from that to a Wav file (through whatever burning software you use. Windows Media Player works just fine for this) and import THAT to a stereo audio track in the same session. Put a compressor on the track with your song on it and boost it until it peaks at the same level as the other song. Burn it to disk and you should find that it's at a nice level in comparison to other CDs. Hope this helps.

Eless

spkguitar
08-11-2005, 06:38 AM
The process that you are missing is mastering. All commercial CDs have been (hopefully) professionally mastered.

Most recommendations are to have the mastering done by a professional (for reasons that should be obvious; gear, room, ers, etc)
However, you can master yourself if you're willing to learn more about it. More information about mastering can be found here (http://www.theprojectstudiohandbook.com/articles9.htm)

zach9837
08-17-2005, 12:42 PM
that website rocks! sooo much information