PDA

View Full Version : Master/Sub-master Grouping?

Willie Myers
10-24-1999, 10:44 AM
I'm using PT 4.1.1. Does anyone know if it's possible to set up a true master/sub-master relationship between mix/edit groups? I'm trying to do something like the following... 6 tracks as 3 stereo pairs & a master fader. That would be 4 Groups - - 3 subs and a master. I've set them up as first pair=GrpA, 2nd pair=GrpB, 3rd pair=GrpC, all seven=GrpD (the Master). It *should* work something like this...GrpD muted=all 7 tracks muted and sub mutes inactive... GrpD unmuted=independent muting of the 3 subs. It *should*...but it doesn't. They all work either independantly or en masse. I read the bit about Grp ID priority so I tried reversing the ID orders...no difference.
Note to Digi here. If you guys have - and I *assume* you have - actually done automated mixing, you know that setting up the subs/masters relationship is a critical part of the game. While the manual mentions,"Groups can be nested (groups can contain subgroups)." and then have virtually no explanation in the manual (or in the Answerbase - or anywhere else I've searched) of how to go about *doing* that, is really bad.
So, back to my "?". Does anyone know if it is possible to set up a true master/sub relationship with ProTools (4.1.1)?
Thanks for your help,

bill