PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question (BUT NEED HELP)

Senatex
08-01-2005, 09:26 PM
The main thing i need help with is , the fact that when i move my cursor around, like i used to, and hit play, it would play from there. But now it plays from the beggining no matter what, or if i move this flag thing, it moves to there, plays from there.. How to get it to go back to playing from there the cursor is??? Please help , this is really frustrating

Senatex
08-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Please someone really need help

Naagzh
08-02-2005, 01:04 AM
"Timeline insertion follows playback" in the preferences menu, I think.

Ken P
08-02-2005, 11:38 AM
"Timeline insertion follows playback" in the preferences menu, I think.

yea this is most likely the case... in my early days with PT i found by accident that i was hitting the ALT-N key combo or what ever it is (CTRL/ALT/APPLE-N, one of em) instead of hitting the space bar since it is right above the space bar. low and behold over time i figure it out and would hit the key combo again to reverse it. you can also change it under setups -> prefs -> operations -> timeline insertion follows playback. hope this helps

Senatex
08-02-2005, 12:15 PM
I did that, it didnt work, it still starts from where ever the flag is in the top left corner ill try to provide a screenshot. I selected what you guys had told me to select, but yet it still goes where ever the flag is placed by secs, and bars and all that... Or can i get rid of the flag, so it will start from wherever the cursor is?

Look at the jpg labeled Test.jpg, it has the flag cursored, that is what is controling where my recording starts.

http://webpages.charter.net/iankautman/

filmixer
08-02-2005, 12:45 PM
Sounds like you have unlinked the Edit and Timeline selectors. They're the little dots & lines & up & down arrow icons just below the Zoom buttons. By default they are linked. If they are unlinked, you can make a selection for editing that is separate from the selection in the timeline. What's happening is that you are trying to start playing from the cusor position (edit point) but Pro Tools is playing from the timeline selection (the blue arrows up on the time ruler). Click on the icon to relink and you should be back to normal.

pianoman_78
09-14-2005, 04:49 PM
Senatex...

I know that it has been awhile since you posted your question, but I just read it right now, and I think I might be able to help you.

1) First, you must un-select the "Link Edit-Timeline" button. The key command on Mac is: Shift and / It's probably the same on the PC.
Or you can choose it from the Operations menu, or click the little arrows/dots box under the zoom controls.
Now that it is not selected, only the black dots follow the cursor, but the blue flag will not.

2) Then simply press: option and [
I think it's: Start and [ on PC (control and [ seems to work on the Mac too)
Under the Operations menu, it's the "play edit selection" option.

But remember, this only works if the "Link Edit-Timeline" is NOT selected...otherwise the blue flag will just move wherever you put the cursor, and choosing "play edit selection" will just play from the flag.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Keniko
09-21-2005, 08:57 AM
I'm a Mac user. You can insert a start point with the mouse than hit option key + the Left bracket key in the upper right hand corner of your computer keyboard. That will start your song at the insertion point. That also works with highlighted regions. I use this key command all the time ...It's great. Also ...pressing the #1 and #2 keys in the number pad will rewind and fast forword the file. Hope this helps.