PDA

View Full Version : vocals tips and techniques

Xone
07-27-2005, 07:02 AM
I have a mxl mogami mic that runs on a 69 volt power supply. Do I need preamps or anything else with it. I am just starting my studio and everything sounds good except vocals. Any tips or techniques are very welcomed. Anyone know how to get the airy whispers from breathing out? HELP..........

s.d. finley
07-27-2005, 06:26 PM
You need to tell us MORE... which interface are you using? Does that MXL have its own power supply? If yes, DO NOT use phantom power otherwise you WILL kill your mic. I use a 001, but skip the built in pres, digital clock and converters...find a channel strip type preamp w/ spdif outs. This will make a big difference in vocals.

rock

sdf

PsyCoNo
07-27-2005, 06:31 PM
You do need a preamp with a mic... if you have an 002 or such it should have one?!

L.Ninio
08-04-2005, 03:37 AM
Anyone know how to get the airy whispers from breathing out?

Yea. Stop making airy whispers.

rockrev
08-05-2005, 08:39 AM
If you edit out the breathing you will end up with a very strange souding vocal track. Humans breathe when we sing - it's a requirement. Listen to a killer vocal performance . . . listen real close . . . you will hear the breathing.

"Noise" isn't always a bad thing - it adds a sense of reality. Be real careful when trying to gate everything out - you may suck the life out of it.

rockrev

albee1952
08-05-2005, 08:05 PM
If you are referring to the MXL V69 mic, it has its own power supply and special 7 pin cable to attach the mic. A standard 3 pin XLR cable connects the power supply to your mic pre. It isn't a 69volt supply(actually higher voltage). I highly recommend using a pop screen (black nylon fabric style) in front of it. Also make sure you are singing into the front as its an easy mistake. When used correctly, its a great sounding vocal mic.

groovilator
08-06-2005, 11:49 AM
If you edit out the breathing you will end up with a very strange souding vocal track. Humans breathe when we sing - it's a requirement. Listen to a killer vocal performance . . . listen real close . . . you will hear the breathing.

"Noise" isn't always a bad thing - it adds a sense of reality. Be real careful when trying to gate everything out - you may suck the life out of it.

rockrev

Absolutely right. Even when I'm editing comped vocal tracks, I always make sure the breath sounds match if I'm, say, splicing a single phrase together from different takes. Hell, I might even specifically choose a particular breath sound from a particular take because it just sounds good in the context.

s.d. finley
08-06-2005, 03:49 PM
The only time i edit out breathes if there are overdubs, lets say 3 tracks, all w/ breathes at the same time, i might edit out 2 and leave one. I mainly do this w/ my larger than life clients, big guys breathe big time....

rock

sdf