PDA

View Full Version : Micing troubles

PTgeek911
07-17-2005, 06:52 PM
Ok guys, Im in a metal band, and we are getting set to record a demo, but for the life of me I can not get a good sound. I will be using an SM57 and a Shure MD421. Any tips on getting the best sound possible? Remember, a lot of gain in the amps. Compressors, Micing techniques, placement of amp, and general tips would be much appreciated!

tball
07-19-2005, 06:49 AM
Heavy metal guitar ey? Dont use any compression. I Imagine your tracks are going to be distorted to "High Heaven" or should I say "High Hell" (it is more metal ya know.) Compressing a saturated Mesa or Marshall isnt going to do much to an already ultra-compressed sound. Get the sound you want in the room. Dont be afraid to track with a little less distortion and try to attain optimum tone. Make sure there is definition to the sound and not just a wall of fuzz. If there are two guitarist try getting two unique sounds to achieve an interesting sonic blend. Dont track all the rhythm parts with exactly the same tone. Make sure the gtr tracks are going to fit into the big picture. If they are too big sounding where are you going to fit the bass or vocals into the mix? Just stick that 57 right up on the speaker. More towards the center if you want it brighter. Pull it back an inch if there is too much bass. Remember that the amount of distortion is the key. Be a little conservative with the amound of distortion and you can always add a little more crunch in the mix. If there is any way to hit tape do it! Tape compression is mild enough to smooth out the sound a little bit and it is definitely a factor to the old skool metal sound aka Maiden, Sabbath, AC/DC.

Lets throw some goats!

ed

tball
07-19-2005, 06:53 AM
Oh crap, I forgot you have a 421. 57 + 421 is my favorite for big guitars. If you use both mics PUT THEM SIDE BY SIDE on the same speaker!! You want capsules to be as close as possible to one another to eliminate phase. You get the buzzsaw high end out of the 57 and the meat from the 421. If they sound good together go for it. I have had great results when even each mic on its own sounds terrible but blended together it can be a wicked tone.

good luck

ed