PDA

View Full Version : reverb send question

Equality 7-2521
07-17-2005, 02:21 AM
ok so when you bus a track (post fade) to an aux input with reverb on it, the send level controls how much reverb there is and the volume fader on the track adjust the level of both wet and dry simultaneously in tandem.

but what is function the main aux input fader? do you just set it at unity gain and only raise it if you cant get enough reverb with the send level turned up as high as they can go? if not, how or when is it used?

thanks

Bender
07-17-2005, 06:30 PM
You can do the same thing a couple ways but the way I was taught on an old analog board was to set the send to unity to get the full effect and use the Aux fader to vary how much you let thru.

As to the track fader adjusting wet & dry that's not entirely true. While it affects how much dry is sent to the send it does not really increase the wet. Just solo only track fader you hear no effect.

albee1952
07-17-2005, 07:42 PM
When you use effects on an aux track, you "usually" should set the effect plugin to 100% wet(just another rule that sometimes gets bent or broken). Now the aux fader controls how much effect is added to the mix. If you are sending multiple signals to the effect/aux track(think-background vocals or toms on a drum kit), the buss send level will vary the amount of effect for each original track.

Equality 7-2521
07-18-2005, 12:04 AM
thanks for your replies. i think ive figured it out.

if you are sending several signals to the reverb on the aux track and have different send levels for each send, the aux fader can be used to adjust the overall wet level whilst maintaining the relativity of each individual send level. so instead of adjusting all the send levels in equal amounts, you can just use the aux fader. but if you were only sending one signal to the reverb, the send level and aux level would do exactly the same thing. right?

and just to clarify, the track fader adjusts the wet and dry level simultaneously (cos its a post fade send) without changing how much wet there is compared to dry. so turning down the track fader will turn down the dry and wet together without changing their relative mix. soloing the track means you will only hear dry because there will be no signal coming out of the aux track with reverb cos it will be muted. right?

so this in turn all means that if you wanted to keep the wet level the same but adjust the dry level, you would have to turn down the aux fader down by the desired amount and then turn the track faders up by the same amount. right?

Matt Whritenour
07-18-2005, 08:21 AM
thanks for your replies. i think ive figured it out.

if you are sending several signals to the reverb on the aux track and have different send levels for each send, the aux fader can be used to adjust the overall wet level whilst maintaining the relativity of each individual send level. so instead of adjusting all the send levels in equal amounts, you can just use the aux fader. but if you were only sending one signal to the reverb, the send level and aux level would do exactly the same thing. right?

and just to clarify, the track fader adjusts the wet and dry level simultaneously (cos its a post fade send) without changing how much wet there is compared to dry. so turning down the track fader will turn down the dry and wet together without changing their relative mix. soloing the track means you will only hear dry because there will be no signal coming out of the aux track with reverb cos it will be muted. right?

so this in turn all means that if you wanted to keep the wet level the same but adjust the dry level, you would have to turn down the aux fader down by the desired amount and then turn the track faders up by the same amount. right?

yes, or you can use Pre Fader.
and for the thing about solo'ing the track and then the Aux Track being muted, Most of the time (not all but most) I solo isolate my Aux Tracks by Ctrl + Clicking the solo button on the track
so that if I solo a track with an Aux send, I still get to hear the Effect that's on the Aux Track.

Also for Drums I use PreFader and I Create 3 Aux Tracks, the 1 Aux Track is for Reverb which i use Busses 3+4, then i set the output to all the drums as Busses 1+2 and the other 2 Aux Tracks have Busses 1+2 as there inputs. then i bring the one Fader all the way down, get my Dry Drum Mix, then i put the bombfactory compressor on the other aux track with inputs buss 1+2 and compress the hell out of it and bring the level up underneath the dry drums. and when i do the reverb for the drums I solo the Aux track for the reverb and create my Room Mix then i blend that with the dry drums.
The reason i do it pre fader is because if you recorded drums in a live room with room mics, you would not be able to the reverb up for each individual instrument with the room mics so in while working with drums with room mics those room mic's are basicaly Pre Fader to the drums.