PDA

View Full Version : Brent Averill Vs. API Audio

Erik Braund
07-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Hello.. finally have saved enough cash to get some new preamps. Currently have 1 DBX 786, 2 DBX 586 (dont like so much), and 1 DBX 386 (like even less). I love my 786, but it also cost $2000 more then any of the other ones.

I have been looking at the API 3124 4 channel pre that uses the API 2520 op-amp ($2500)
OR..
considering going tbe Brent Averill route and getting a 2 channel 312 that uses the 1122 op-amp ($1450)
and also getting a Brent Averill 2 channel 1272 clone ($1550)..

So my questions are... What is the difference between the API's? .. more specifically, the op-amps?
Any other pre reccomendations? I primarily do rock bands and acoustic type bands.. mostly rock though. I want to invest $3 - 4k and come out with 4 go-to channels that I won't regret dropping cash one. Being in alaska, I can't ever test anything before I buy..
Thanks in advance!
Erik B

gruvmann
07-14-2005, 11:57 AM
It seems you would have a bit more flexibility getting two dual pre's as opposed to the 4 pre model. You can;t go wrong with a pair of 1272's sitting around.

PTUser NYC
07-14-2005, 02:47 PM
No Brainer.

Get the mixed pair from Averill.

Having two classic flavors to play off of each other will really help your DAW feel more organic.

paulrhythm
07-14-2005, 07:56 PM
Erik,

Was recently in your exact situation. I debated between the API 3124 and getting the Brent Averill 312 and something else. I ended up getting the Averill pair and I gotta say I'm really happy with them. I've worked at another studio that has the API 3124 and I really like the Averill better, especially for rock stuff...amazing on gtrs and drums, really anything you throw at it.

My next purchase is a pair of the vintech x73i. It's a little more than the 1272 (probably 3k for a pair), but the cool thing is that you can use the EQ's from the vintech (which are stellar) with your Brent Averill 312.

Having these 2 'flavors' is a great setup, once you go hi-end you won't go back.

pb

Erik Braund
07-15-2005, 01:55 AM
Thanks alot for all your replies...
Part of me wants to have at least three channels of the same thing for those drummers that seem to think you need more then two toms, so I can keep all the toms on the same type of pre. But.. I see where it would be very nice to have three different type of go-to pres instead of two (counting my 786).. I am very very very sick of the sound of my silver DBX stuff.

Glad to know someone else was pondering the same stuff. I've heard nothing but priase over the averill stuff. If only I could afford some 1073 stuff. Has anyone gotten hands-on use of those vintechs? further.. has anyone a/b's the x73 i and the x73 (a few hundred bucks more expensive)??

even more of a stretch .. what is the deal with the Universal Audio 4110 precision mic pre. They are fancy looking... but does it go beyond that? Again.. no one in alaska would ever dream of stocking anything above a behringer or ART preamp... if a salesman knows what a preamp is.
Thanks again for all your comments.. I shall be calling Averill today!
Erik B

jnamm
07-15-2005, 06:35 AM
I saw your post regarding API vs. Brent Averill.. I have 4 of Brent Averills refirbished API pre's and 4 of his refirbished API 554 parameteric EQ's. I also have Brent Averills 11 space Powered rack with Phantom Power that can power Brents Pre's and any API modules.. They have served me well for 10 years I would stand by them. Recently I got a Neve and I am looking to sell the 554 EQ's and the 11 space power supply. Would you have any interest in buying?

Erik Braund
07-15-2005, 07:11 AM
what are they going for? if you'd rather talk privately for any reason, erik@braund.net me!
thanks
Erik B

Erik Braund
07-15-2005, 09:57 AM
Well.. I did it!
Just ordered 2 channels of 1272 and 2 channels of 312... Unfortunately they both have to have different power supplies, which will further crush the shipping here. I am stoked though! Thanks for your input!
Erik