PDA

View Full Version : how to change the tempo of a recording

jamminmacneil
07-04-2005, 02:48 PM
I have some songs recorded and I would like to change the tempo of some of the tracks. Do you know how I can do this ?

Ryan Young
07-04-2005, 07:07 PM
Are they MIDI or audio? You can simply change the tempo from the beginning of the session if you're working with MIDI. However, you can't do that with audio. If it's audio, you can do a few other things. You can use the Audio Suite Time Compression/Expansion all of your tracks by the same amount (to a certain extent before it starts to sound bad). You can pitch shift everything by the same amount without the time correction checked (to a certain extent before it sounds too low and bad). You could also Beat Detective your whole song. Set up a tempo grid with each measure of the song. Then separate all of your regions at every measure. In the edit window, change your tracks from sample based to tick based. Then when you change the tempo of the session from the beginning, it'll slide each of the downbeats according to the new tempo. This does not stretch the audio though, so then you'd have to TCE each measure to the downbeat of the following measure. That's a really complicated way to do it. Hope I was helpful and it wasn't too confusing. If anyone else has a better suggestion, please let me know as well.

albee1952
07-06-2005, 07:51 PM
I like Serato Pitch "N Time for this as long as you are staying within 15-20% of the original tempo. This plugin also works great for changing the key.