PDA

View Full Version : MPowered and Metronome Click Tracks and VSTs

ael123
06-19-2005, 08:57 AM
Okay, so I'm new to the site and I've been reading around but I couldn't find an exact answer to my question.

First of all I own a MAudio Firewire 410 and ProTools Mpowered (obviously) and I can't figure out (even after reading the manual) how to get a metronome or click track going. The best I got last night was getting a midi click track going and then when I started to record audio, the clicking got into my audio track...and I understand how/why it did that...the thing I'm trying to avoid is just that...can anyone tell me how to enable a click track without screwing up an audio track...I just want to be able to record with a steady beat playing underneath me...is there a way to do this or is the only way to just record 7 minutes of midi clicking, and then go back and record the audio separately while the midi track plays back? (though, then wouldn't I run into the problem of my audio track picking up the midi signals being sent to my Roland Fantom X8) ?? If I can get help on that issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, my next issue is how do I get VST plugins to work via MP. I've been reading about RTAs but I have a bunch of VSTs and I really don't understand how to use them via protools...can anyone give me a rund down on how to use my VSTs ? (like Arturia Moog, Native Instruments B4, Edirol Super Quartet, Edirol Orchestra...?)

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

spkguitar
06-19-2005, 02:07 PM
On the matter of the click, there is a tutorial video at The DiskFlix (http://www.digidesign.com/disk/diskflix/) about using the click plugin. (It functions the same way in PTMP as it does in LE)

For VST plugins, you will need to purchase the FXPansion VST-RTAS adaptor (http://fxpansion.com/product-rtasadapter-main.php). You can get it cheaper at Sweetwater (http://sweetwater.com/store/detail/VSTRTASWrap/), but you have to wait a couple of days for them to send a hard copy to you, whereas on FXpansion's site you can download it.

ael123
06-19-2005, 02:31 PM
Thanks a lot, I'll read up...and wow 99 bucks for that adapter...I'll have to see whether in the end it's worth it...do you use the adapter at all?

spkguitar
06-19-2005, 07:07 PM
It's worth every penny. I use it with both my 002/LE and Ozonic/MP setups, and I personally consider it a must for any PT system.
YMMV

ael123
06-20-2005, 06:25 AM
I'll check it out. Thanks for the help by the way, the click track stuff worked and now I can set my frustrations aside hehe.

oscillations
06-24-2005, 04:02 PM
Is there any particular reason you're not using the Click plugin in ProTools? Create a new mono audio track, go to Inserts in the mix window (or in the edit window if you set it to show Inserts view), and then Plugin -> Instruments -> Click. There are also a few options for the sound of the click. This is much simpler and more efficient I think.

ael123
06-26-2005, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I just got help from some people here already and from another site, but thanks, it did work.