PDA

View Full Version : 32-bit Internal Processing

danika
06-12-2005, 11:09 AM
I would assume (but wanted to verify) that PT uses 32-bit internal processing, no matter what the bit-depth of any imported files. Is that correct? Can't find anything about it in the documentation.

Related question: Is it OK to go over 0 db for tracks as long as you keep the final output below 0 db?

DigiTechSupt
06-13-2005, 12:30 PM
Yes, Pro Tools LE uses 32 bit internal processing.

Regarding your second question - no, you should never go above '0' on any track, as this will cause digital distortion.

danika
06-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Yes, Pro Tools LE uses 32 bit internal processing.

Regarding your second question - no, you should never go above '0' on any track, as this will cause digital distortion.

Hmmmm. That's interesting. In every other case I've seen--specifically Cubase, Sound Forge, and Sonar--as long as you're only using dynamic processing it's OK to go above 0 db for internal processing since 32-bit can handle that. Why would PT be different?

DigiTechSupt
06-13-2005, 02:41 PM
Are you referring to going above 0db (unity) on a fader?

If so, then yes, you can go above '0' on a fader - but you should NOT go over '0' on the meters.

danika
06-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Are you referring to going above 0db (unity) on a fader?

If so, then yes, you can go above '0' on a fader - but you should NOT go over '0' on the meters.

No, I'm talking about going above 0 on the meters. In the other software I mentioned, the manufacturers clearly state that doing this is OK.

DigiTechSupt
06-14-2005, 11:18 AM
That's not the case in Pro Tools. Anything in the 'red' means you're clipping samples.

danika
07-15-2005, 06:45 PM
That's not the case in Pro Tools. Anything in the 'red' means you're clipping samples.

I have some difficulty in understanding why this would be true, so I tried an experiment:

1) I generated a sine wave with a peak of -3 db.
2) I imported it into a PT track and set the fader to +6 db.
3) I added a Master Fader set at 0 db.
4) I bounced the session and examined the result in Adobe Audtion.

The results were clearly clipped.

Next experiment:

3) I set the Master Fader to -6 db.
4) I bounced the session and examined the result in Adobe Audtion.

No evidence of clipping at all.