PDA

View Full Version : Micing singer with a large range

John Link
06-06-2005, 02:43 AM
Yesterday I had a gig with a singer with a three-octave range, from F below middle C to F above high C. She used most of her range throughout the gig. I had her wear a Sennheiser wireless lav mic on her necklace which was right around her neck, not hanging down. Even when singing quietly at the top of her range there seemed to be a strong tendency to distort (I monitored the warning light on the transmitter). It was difficult to set a sensitivity level on the transmitter that would avoid distortion while keeping the level high enough for her middle and lowest notes.

Any suggestions about how to solve this problem? Must I insert a compressor between the mic and the transmitter? Is there such a thing small enough for a singer to wear in addition to the transmitter? Are there any transmitters with built-in compressors? Is there a better place to attach the mic? I attached it to her necklace because her shirt was low enough in the middle that it seemed to put the mic too far from her mouth.

Thanks in advance for your help,
John Link

jude
06-06-2005, 05:37 AM
What type of transmitter/reciver are you using?

i only have shure UC series wireless mics at work and this is how i get around it. inside the transmitter there are 3 little dials; group, channel and gain. by winding the gain right down you should be able to avoid having the reciver clip. failing this, get her to use a hand held mic. much bigger capsule, much less chance of distorting it.

Jude

John Link
06-06-2005, 07:49 AM
The transmitter and receiver are made by Sennheiser. I think it was only the transmitter, and not the receiver, that was clipping. I turned down the gain on the transmitter all the way, and adjusted the sensitivity on the transmitter so that she wouldn't clip at the transmitter. I guess that's what I have to do, and then add compression later in the signal path. I'd like to avoid using a hand-held, because it doesn't fit in with the aesthetic of the group.

John Link

digidesigner
06-07-2005, 06:14 PM
I am right now using a sennheiser lavalier mics that sound pretty good. Today was the first day of the tour and as I do FOH mixing I don't know exactly what the model is... I just said to the equipment guys that the mics sound great and they told me it is a dynamic model with larger capsule. Anyways the freq. range was exellent for this type of mic and I had plenty of headroom and no feedback problems first time with lav. I'll check the model tomorrow if you like.

John Link
06-08-2005, 07:51 AM
digidesigner, I would appreciate knowing which model you're using and anything else you might add, like where the mic was worn.

Thanks,
John Link

digidesigner
06-08-2005, 04:32 PM
ok I checked and turns out it was nothing fancy - sennheiser ME3 - http://www.proaudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=2129 and it clarely states that it is a condenser mic. so the guys don't know... anyway it is from a sennheiser evolution series that is very inexpensive but still some mics off that serie are pretty damn good. I love the e602 and e604 drum mics for example. So if you can try it out maybe you like it!

digidesigner
06-08-2005, 04:42 PM
I am sorry I just read again your first post and you don't need a headset mic but a tiny lavalier! All my friends who do musicals use DPA mics for that and they use the ones that are skin-colored so the mics can be taped to artists cheek or forehead. also these mics cost a litte more... I would try to get her to wear a headset.

katoramone
01-29-2006, 08:34 AM
Heres a thought... there are vocalists that actually project a very high spm that can distort the diaphram of the mic... could be as simple as positioning.
k