PDA

View Full Version : Recording Guitars - in the room w/ the amp

staggerlee
05-20-2005, 11:42 AM
On our last two records we used the live guitar tracks that we recorded in the room all together BUT the amps were always isolated in another part of the studio. For fixes and overdubs me & the other guitar player sit in the control room with the amp in the big room.

During the last sessions I noticed that the leads we recorded with one of us playing in same room as the amp were better. Not too mention the feedback thing. We love feedback. I'm wondering now if it was the performances that were better, or the actual sound, or both.

Now I'm thinking we might re-track all the rythym guitars with both of us in the room facing the amps (we can't track with the amps in the same room - too many mistakes/bleed issues). Has having guitar players in the room with their amps been beneficial to any of you guys as far as getting thicker, more "live" guitar sounds?

I can't seem to find much info on this. Thanks for your help.

FYI - we play really loud punk-influenced Rock n' Roll. AC/DC meees the Ramones.

Naagzh
05-23-2005, 12:52 PM
Has having guitar players in the room with their amps been beneficial to any of you guys as far as getting thicker, more "live" guitar sounds?

I think so. But then, I'll spend an hour getting the right tone, mic placement, etc.

I always invite the guitar player into the control room to hear how things are sounding. I think double-tracking is a great way to add thickness, too, but this requires patience and talent, even if it's just to "screw up" the same way twice.

Nice job on the tunes, BTW.

If I may offer a suggestion: "play the spaces" a bit more, especially in the transitions. Allow a drum fill or bass lick to come through unhindered by guitar. IMHO, part of the trick in making guitars sound huge is knowing when to NOT play them, and then how to punch right back in, kna' mean? You can't long for something that's always there...

mastermorris
05-26-2005, 01:28 PM
Have you tried using the pod xt pro...great piece for guitarist! Rm