PDA

View Full Version : An Idea "Best of both worlds" (M-power and Le)

Mikey Ace
04-17-2005, 11:50 PM
I was just thinking lately, cause I want to return my Mbox for a Fire Wire 1814 with Pro-tools M-power.
I was thinking that the M-power series is too good to be true, and usually when something is to good to be true, it usually is not.
But for right now, it seems great and is more powerful and more afforable.
But I have a feeling that LE will soon have a huge update in either software or hardware and the M-power will not.

So I was thinking of how to have the best of both worlds of LE and M-power to secure a future with both,

My idea was to get a Fire Wire 1814 with Pro-tools 6.8 M-power, and get a Command 8 with Pro-tools Le 6.9. The reason behind this is that you can record into M-power and use the command 8 as a control surface.
And if in the future Digi upgrades Pro-tools Le to have more needed software features then the Pro-tools M-power than here is what you can do. Record in Pro-tools M-power software through the M-audio hardware, then save and close your session. detach your M-audio hardware, and open up Pro-tools Le using the Command 8 attach, open up your M-powered session in Le, and now you can mix and use the Le software using the Command 8, and use the Le only features. (Digi Translator, DV Tool kit, and any other future updates etc.)

One flaw to the problem allready, I read some where that you cannot have Pro-tools Le and M-power software on the same drive. If this is is true, can you install them on different drives, different computers or is there a way to install both on the same drive?
If you can install both on the same drive, then this would be the best solution of the best of both worlds, and every one would be happy because Le and M-power can live happily together.

Any thoughts? Will this work?
Mikey Ace

Loudnoize Ent.
04-18-2005, 04:04 AM
But I have a feeling that LE will soon have a huge update in either software or hardware and the M-power will not.

It is obvious Digi will sooner or later introduce new hardware and whether or not LE and M-Powered will live and breathe under the same roof is yet to be seen but this I know for sure. If the LE software will have features highly superior to MP, then what is the point of buying PT-MP. The one reason I purchased PT-MP is simply because I have had it with the "horror of the Mbox" and needed an interface that will do the right job and the AP-192 is. The LE software was always fine. I'm positive, 99.9% of us purchased PT-MP because we are tired of the limited Digi low end interface not standing up to what we need as simply being the "norm"... and when PT-MP was introduced and we all "ooo" and "ahh" about it, this is because, we are finally dealing with the "norm". Pro Tools and M-Audio, what a great move and in the future maybe PT and other interfaces will co-exist... BUT...

... I hope MP software will have every feature, just like LE will be given in it's future updates or else I would think Digi got the last laugh.

thirdstreet
04-26-2005, 10:20 AM

It is obvious Digi will sooner or later introduce new hardware and whether or not LE and M-Powered will live and breathe under the same roof is yet to be seen but this I know for sure. If the LE software will have features highly superior to MP, then what is the point of buying PT-MP. The one reason I purchased PT-MP is simply because I have had it with the "horror of the Mbox" and needed an interface that will do the right job and the AP-192 is. The LE software was always fine. I'm positive, 99.9% of us purchased PT-MP because we are tired of the limited Digi low end interface not standing up to what we need as simply being the "norm"... and when PT-MP was introduced and we all "ooo" and "ahh" about it, this is because, we are finally dealing with the "norm". Pro Tools and M-Audio, what a great move and in the future maybe PT and other interfaces will co-exist... BUT...

... I hope MP software will have every feature, just like LE will be given in it's future updates or else I would think Digi got the last laugh.

I just noticed on my PT MP there is no low latency monitoring feature. THAT"S HUGE! rats!

RB

Jay Levin
04-29-2005, 09:32 PM
Mikey, the biggest problem with your plan is that the Command-8 is not an audio interface, it's just a control surface. If you tried to launch Pro Tools LE with just a Command-8 connected, it would refuse to launch.

I could be wrong, but my money says that ME will be the exact equivalent of LE in the near future.