PDA

View Full Version : Ques. on Aux and Bussing when how what where when?

RUNDMOD4MUSIC
01-21-2005, 03:46 AM
I’m a new user to protools LE 6.4 and I have the Digi 002 with the bomb factory plug-ins.

My question is when, how, and where does this thing about bussing, routing, and set up an aux input come into place.

Keep in mind I’ve recorded all of my vocals on an individual track as well as guitars, bas and drums. SO I have a lot of tracks.

Is this the right way or long way to record? I’m new so you may have to walk me through this process.

Lets use for example this set up:

Tracks Instrument

1 bass drum

2 Snare

3 Hi-hat

4 Guitar

5 Lead guitar

6 Bass guitar

7 Lead vocal

8 1st vocal(Harmony)

9 2nd vocal(Harmony)

10 3rd vocal(Harmony)

What would you do?

mindnoise
01-21-2005, 04:22 AM
HI,

AUX es are basically just used to monitor something. e.g. Softsynths, apply FX effects to an Input signal to balance it against the original signal. They don´t record, One in one Out. you can have as many AUX tracks as you want.

BUSSES are basically used to group Signals together and route them to an AUX or an Audio, internally. Unlike AUX tracks, BUSSES cannot have FX on them. You have 16 Busses which can route up to 32 Audio tracks or any number of AUX tracks from one Aux or Audio track to another AUX or Audioo track (or Bus).

Mostly you want to keep the tracks with the same ´behaviour´ or ´meaning´ togehether. This can be the rhythem section, the vocals and the leads. But really depends on what you wnt to achieve.

does this help?

regs

RUNDMOD4MUSIC
01-21-2005, 04:32 AM
Yes this helps so as far as set up in the System itself.
I get confused on the inputs and out puts.
So is i have a bass drum which I want compression on I would set up an aux fader for the bass drum as well as the audio track for which I'm recording?
Because what I have been doing is just using the inserts at the top of the screen. the 4 inserts then four busses in the middle. is theis wrong? or does this take up more cpu space this is where i'm confused. Obviusly i have not a clue because after i use the four inserts per channel i'm out of effects ad stuff.

mindnoise
01-21-2005, 05:54 AM
So is i have a bass drum which I want compression on I would set up an aux fader for the bass drum as well as the audio track for which I'm recording?

why do you want to do that?
If you have the BD already as a recording (audiofile) why would you sent it to an aux?
Just insert the plug in on the top and do you´re settings. the effects will be recorded when you bounce to disk.

One reason to send a Signal to an Aux track is to balance the original against the FX processed signal.
With drums this is often made to keep the dynamics and transient of the original but add the ´aggression´ and punch of the compressed signal.

So try this: get a reorded BD and Hihat e.g. slecect a BUS as insert (the field below the plug-in field and be sure to put the buss volume UP) to an Aux track. Select the BUS as Input and the 1/2 as output. Now Put a delay or compressor or d-verb plug-in onto AUX track.
Now you mix the original aggainst the FX track.

do the same with the hihat, but try putting in on the same BUS, one time an the other on another BUS, providing the input for another AUX track.

ih the first case the FX applied to the BD will also affect the Hihat, the second case gives you another set of plug-ins to use.
You can dasiychain up to 16 (mono) Aux tracks in a row using the busses.

Sorry but it all and always comes to the question "why do I want to to this" and "want do I want to achieve".

If you can get more specific with your questions than I can be less generic in my answers

so far,
regs

RUNDMOD4MUSIC
01-21-2005, 06:17 AM
For instance with my BD I want it punchy along with my bass guitar with like an Earth wind and fire feel ( September )
Verses another stlye of feeling like an open hall effect where it's kind of lingering a bit.

mindnoise
01-21-2005, 06:54 AM
HI, yes in this case it MIGHT make sense to put the Bass and BD on the same buss to an AUX and process them there, so they get the same dynamic and rhythmic feel, esp with the JoeMeek comp involved.

and also group the vocals to single processing path

But there is a lot more to it than just Bussing. that the bass and BD fit together it is also necessary to see that the don´t interfere with each others frequency domain, or do if the efect is desired.
So EQing is also a factor.

as there are a lot of mastering issues inveolved I´d suggest to go here and do a little reading.
perhaps it holds some more answers.

http://www.theprojectstudiohandbook.com/directory.htm

regs

Ben Jenssen
01-21-2005, 08:49 AM
I´d like to have a go at this:

You have all your tracks recorded, and you want to start mixing them.
Make a master fader. (Select "New track" in the edit menu.)
You DON´T insert plugins on the tracks until you need them.
Let´s say you have inserted a couple of EQs and gotten good levels on the tracks.
One of the most common uses of busses and aux faders is to let several tracks share the same reverb. (Just like it would be done on a analogue mixer.)

Make an aux fader.
Set its input to, say Bus 1, and its output to "Main" and insert a reverb on it, (DVerb).
Now make a bus send on f.ex the lead vocal. (One of the five little thingies under the plugin inserts, ABCDE.) Use Bus 1.
A separate window with a fader will appear.
Now use it to send the vocal signal to the reverb.
Use it on as many track you want.

If you want to solo a track that has a send on it, the reverb aux will be muted.
To avoid this, "command-click" on the aux´s solo button.

If you command-click on the "A" or whatever letter your bus send is on, you will get little faders on all the tracks with sends on that letter. Command-click again and it will revert.

Good luck.

I hope this wasn´t too basic.

(You know, this is all in the PT manual. And more.)