PDA

View Full Version : Delay plug in help in LE 6.4

DEXTERITY
01-16-2005, 04:51 PM
Hi,

I was hoping if someone could please help me. I am trying to use the delay plug in that comes with Pro Tools LE 6.4 for mac. As of now, I want to apply the delay to certain sound effects in my mix. I went to the track I want the delay on in the mix window and selected it (I think as an insert).

I can apply the effect. However, the delay is actually delaying the start of the sound effect when I hit play. For instance, if I recorded the sound effect at 0 seconds on track 3, then apply the delay to track three The sound effect wont play until about one second later with the delay applied. I want the delay applied so the end of the effect echos away, but I am trying to place sound effects throughout the mix and it is hard to place them on beat if they are starting two seconds after they are actually recorded. If I turn the delay off it starts where it was recorded and where I want them placed. But of course there is no echo. I am not sure what I am doing wrong because I haven't tried messing with the plug ins in pro tools yet. I would appreciate any help. thanks in advance.

Third Eye Studios
01-16-2005, 05:22 PM
Scroll down to #18 here. (http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=382416&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1#382416) Don't hit the pre button though, as you'll probably want to have the send be post fader. Make sure the delay's mix is set to 100% so there is no dry signal going though the delay. I hope this helps.

randyT
01-18-2005, 11:43 AM
DEXTERITY,

You are getting full wet signal out of the delay plugin. Use the mix control to adjust between the dry (original recording) and the wet (delayed signal). Set the mix control to 0% and you will get the same thing as turning off the delay. Then move it up until you start to get the delay effect and then stop where you want it. The reason you are hearing a appro~ 1 sec delay is because the delay control is probably defaulting to 1.5 sec. Use the delay control to change this to a desired lenght of time for the delay. You can also use the note's at the bottom for this (1/16, 1/8, 1/4 etc.. Then use the feedback control to set how many times the effect echo's.

You can also put the delay plug-in on an AUX channel and set it's output to 1 & 2 and it's input from one of the busses. Then use a send from any of the track that you want to use delay on.

randy

DEXTERITY
01-18-2005, 01:55 PM
thank you very much guys!!! I learned quite a few things. Changing the mix control down from 100% to 0, then to where I wanted it solved the problem instantly. THank you so much. Also, setting up an aux track also helped a lot as well. Thansk again guys, I now know two different ways to do this.. Appreciate your help.

One last thing... Can I automate the plug in by using it in either manner (on the track itself or set up on an aux track)? Thanks again for your time. you saved the day. I happened to get the same answer from a great tech support gentleman as well (as the same time I was reading this).. thanks again....

randyT
01-19-2005, 07:28 AM
DEXTERITY,

Yes you can automate the plugins. Open the plugin window and click on "AUTO". A dialog window will pop up where you can select the plugin parameters that you want to automate. Select the parameters you want and then go to the edit window. Click on the display select button on the track that sets what is displayed in the track edit window. (usually this will be set to "Waveform") You will now be able to see the plugin parameters that you selected previously as choices in the track edit window. Change the track edit window to display the parameter you want to automate and then you can use the hand tool or the plugin window slider to set the automation. This is in the Reference guide under Chapter 28: Automation, then Writing Automation, then Automating Plug-ins.

hope this helps
randy