PDA

View Full Version : Manual "Beat Detective"

bigjohn5583
12-23-2004, 11:31 AM
I'm a new Pro Tools user. I was wondering what are the keyboard shortcuts for a Manual "Beat Detectice" on a track or multiple tracks. I'm sure it's called nudging but I tried things and it just doesn't work for me.

Thank You.
John

sleepingtiger
12-24-2004, 09:55 AM
You can use the "tab to transient" function and "identify beat" to identify tempo or set up a grid on a pre-recorded audio track or group of tracks. To activate tab to transient you press the little box with the waveform at the top left of the edit screen. Once selected, shift + tab identifies the next transient, hitting tab again sets the cursor at that transient. You can then select "identify beat" (I can't remember the shortcut - I believe it's in the edit menu - I'm not at my Mac at the moment...) Repeat this procedure until you're done.

nightshadecrisis
12-24-2004, 07:09 PM
Ctrl I is the identify beat...but there are many ways to beat detect without using that function.

I usually Tab to Peak then separate regions by hitting ctrl E. i almost always use the kick drum as the primary guide unless there are triplets. certainly try basing your edits off the kick, snare, and hi hats as a general idea.

if you do alot of manual beat detective work, i certainly recommend getting a Trackball with several different buttons. I got myself a Kensington awhile back, and it has 10 buttons that I can configure to do shortcuts. so i have made mousesets with different shortcuts which i can assign for tracking, mixing, editing etc. with my most used shortcuts.

BretFarewell
12-31-2004, 05:25 PM
when you do manual beat detective, after separating regions, etc. how do you fill in the gaps and make the drum tracks play smoothly like they do with real beat detective?

Rail Jon Rogut
12-31-2004, 05:28 PM
In 6.7 there's an option to fill in the gaps in the Edit menu.. in previous versions you have to do it manually.

Rail

BretFarewell
01-01-2005, 07:00 PM
yeah, i really need to get 6.7 but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to use it on drum tracks if you can only do one track at a time?

BretFarewell
01-04-2005, 11:42 PM
anyone?

antenna
01-06-2005, 03:45 PM
this is how I do it in 6.7
(I set my tempo map using the bass drum beats, and only move these and the snare drum beats)

bounce a mono track of drums - import - need it later
go along bass drum track marking bars
after 1st 2, can nudge forward a bar at a time and land near it - then tab forward/back to transient
command - I
now got bars marked - makes life easier
get out beat detective
choose/split bass drum track 4 bars at a time - fits on screen better to see
snare drum track
split this with tab to transient by going
tab B tab B to end of song
group all tracks
switch off tab to transient
now becomes tab to region
tab B tab B to end of song
now all tracks are split to regions based on bass drum beats and snare beats
command click mono track - chooses it hides others
play with beat detective conform
conform it 1-4 bars at time - be consistent
colour code regions youi don’t need to conform
now you've got a map (easier/faster to mess around with a mono track to get the 'feel' right)
now split the other tracks one by one with same conform setting, all line up!