PDA

View Full Version : Consolidate features in AV vs PT 5.0

Claude Chevalier
05-23-2000, 08:55 AM
COMPARING CONSOLIDATION FEATURES IN AUDIOVISION AND PROTOOLS 5.0

On the Audiovision we have found the Consolidate feature to be the most practical and efficient way of transporting a final edit (including media) to the dubbing studio for final mixing. It is practical because consolidating allows us to retain the original media files and original sequence as a backup. It is efficient because it retains the integrity of the final edit and we transfer only the media used in the final edit (plus handles) to the dubbing studio, rather than all the media digitized for the project.. This means that corrections can easily be made in studio if necessary. The procedure is not time-consuming, a 25 minute, 24 track edit can be consolidated in roughly 30 minutes. In brief, it combines 3 functions in 1 by:
. Creating a new audiofile (the length used in the edit plus a handle size determined by the user).
. Creating new fade and dissolve files.
. Creating a new sequence, linking the new audiofiles, fades, and dissolves to this sequence, while keeping the integrity of the edits.
Although the consolidate feature can at times be buggy, and is not officially supported, we have found it to be the best option for getting projects to the mix.

In PROTOOLS 5.0 there are 3 features that each do only a part of what the Consolidate feature in Audiovision does.
1. Compact Selected
This feature reduces the size of a particular selected audio file with a handle. However if this audio file was used in another session, it will no longer be available there. To work around this, you could import the original file into other sessions, but this doubles the disk space required.
2. Consolidate
Consolidating selected regions or entire tracks, creates new files, a new file for each region or track. However, the result is similar to a track layback to tape. Therefore, it is impossible to make corrections in studio because the edits are not preserved. It would not be practical for a 25minutes, 24 track session.

3. Save Session copy in…
This saves the session in various PROTOOLS formats. It is not practical because the audio files are saved in their entirety . It is time-consuming and requires a lot of disk space, particularly because we are limited to 4GB partitions on NT stations.

The Digi Translator Utility is closest to the Consolidate feature in Audiovision. Unfortunately it only consolidates and exports PROTOOLS sessions in OMF format. In our case, the Tascam dubbers which we use for mixing do not recognise this OMF file. If you can suggest a solution to this problem it would be appreciated.

Adding a "Consolidate Session in" command in PROTOOLS is what we are looking for. In Digi Translator we would have to be able to consolidate in a PT Session.

Tim Claman
06-29-2000, 09:07 AM
Dear Claude,

Thanks for sending us this thorough, thoughtful summary. I think you’ve identified the most valid approaches which currently exist:

1. Save Session Copy In… followed by Compact Selected. Ideally we’d just add a consolidate option to the Save Session Copy In... function and I think we’d have exactly what you’re asking for. Adding this feature is definitely feasible in a future release.

2. DigiTranslator can create an OMF sequence with consolidated media. If your goal is to play the material back in a dubber, you could turn the OMF sequence back into a Pro Tools session which refers to that same media (aka “Refer to Source Where Possible”). I agree that this is not a great workaround. One of the original specifications for DigiTranslator 1.0 was the ability to convert between Pro Tools sessions, so that you could sample rate convert an entire session, for example. Unfortunately, this feature didn’t get completed in time for release, but it will be added to an upcoming of DigiTranslator.

Thanks again for your expert feedback,

Tim Claman
Post Products Manager
Digidesign
(650) 842-7818
tclaman@digidesign.com

Claude Chevalier
06-29-2000, 02:32 PM
Thank's for answering,and we will try with your suggestions.I know these work arounds will be time consuming,for now,but can you give me an idea when and/or in which version this Consolidate type feature would be integrated.I know that Tascam is also working at including PT 5.X in his next release.

Claude

homebilly
06-30-2000, 08:40 AM
how about undo's?????????

audiovision:
command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z, command-z

pro tools:
command-z,

RebelMan
07-16-2000, 03:40 AM
I'm am right there with ya homebilly!!

Before the undo command, if you messed up...start over. Then came the undo, making the correction of a mistake 100% better, IF you notice your mistake as soon as it happened. Now granted, The use of the undo is not limited to mistakes. Enter the client... "can we try it this way...no lets go back to the way ya had it", No problem... undo... IF, the change is just one move. Maybe he wants to try the take before(as a matter of fact he is sure that that is the better take) so ya move it to the proper track. Now he needs it moved back because it needs to start sooner...(this is the moment that your brain sees flashing lights..."Hmmm if I make one more move I will lose my undo to go back to the other take...but the client is sure he loves this new take...") so ya do it....play back..."No it is not working lets go back to the other take". Grrrr... that edit is gone man. (Try saying this one to the client), "But you said you liked the other take!!!". It doesn't get ya very far.

Some of ya might say "well save your session so you can go back". Well then you are saving not working...arent ya..."Sorry hold on, I need to save this as a different session because you change you mind every 12 seconds and I only have one undo". That statement never gets a big laugh from the client but sometimes I just can't keep my smart mouth shut.

With the Audiovision: 35 levels of undo!!!! I have undone an edit I did 5 minutes ago on Audiovision. My $200 word processor has an option that allow a person to set the number of undos (I guess that is because it has so many undos).

My $10,000 Protools?????? 1-undo Hmmmmmm.....

Now some of ya might be reading this post and asking "why is this guy still barking about this undo subject...it is such an old subject". Well this is my point exactly!!!
This is a very old subject that has never be addressed. Every update I get in the mail I rip open the box, box and cd falling to the floor, grabbing the little one sheet of documention, scanning for the words "new features", my eyes jetting past several new features (mainly fixes) that never have anything to do with me, looking for the words "undo"...Dang...maybe next time.

I would not be surprised if this message gets deleted because this is a VERY sore subject with Digidesign. Well, me too.

I'm not asking for the world...just a few undos...then the world! http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif